Born2L8 (Sage-Hen) - '94 Chevy Silverado K1500 (4x4) Ext-Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured I'd document this entire process as best I can so that I can share it with my kids as they get older. This is an introduction video I tossed together just to document it's beginnings and to share it's condition and my curiosities at the time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Hot damn. I'm starting to look at some of ya'lls rigs and I gotta say; idk how you do it 0_o. Some of ya'll got thousands upon thousands of dollars invested into your trucks.

I can't tell if I'm inspired or demotivated lol! But for real, it's amazing to see what you can do when you got the means. It might take me a few years, but I"ll get there too. Can't wait to share!

If you're wondering if I made it to the top, I didn't. I had just bought it and it had bald tires and a bad clutch lol! Plan on taking that hill back on next time I'm out there now that I have a MOOG front end and she's got new shoes. Might wait until the new suspension gets in (any day now) before giving her a go though." - my GMT400.com FB Page post.
You must be registered for see images attach

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my new Gabriel Ultra Shocks on yesterday. Lucky me, I had to buy some deep well sockets, and they were 50% off lol so that was cool. Got that done yesterday afternoon.

My 8 year old decided today that I "should paint my rims black, the same way I did the tail gate"... And after a fraction of a second in thought, I decided why not lol. I'm actually pretty happy with the result, even if under someone's nose, one could point out some imperfections. I actually like it enough that I have no desire to put after market rims on lol.

Probably find me some better quality center caps and beauty rings, but other than that, I dig it.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found an exhaust leak. Didn't want to spend the money on something I could fix myself. repurposed the paint can I'd used on the tailgate and rims lol. Good 'nuff for Gooberment work

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I like that exhaust fix, lol. I have to admit, I've done that same thing on more than one occasion.

I dont know how I missed this thread but I'm glad you started it!

As for your transmission I didn't realize you had a manual already since you kept saying you had a 4l60e, lol. Anyway, its probably a NV3500. The easiest way to check is if it is all aluminum with an integrated bell-housing then its a NV3500. If its a cast iron main body with a removable aluminum bell-housing its a NV4500. If you take a pic of it we could identify it pretty quick for you also.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that exhaust fix, lol. I have to admit, I've done that same thing on more than one occasion.

I dont know how I missed this thread but I'm glad you started it!

As for your transmission I didn't realize you had a manual already since you kept saying you had a 4l60e, lol. Anyway, its probably a NV3500. The easiest way to check is if it is all aluminum with an integrated bell-housing then its a NV3500. If its a cast iron main body with a removable aluminum bell-housing its a NV4500. If you take a pic of it we could identify it pretty quick for you also.

Yessir, originally I had thought I had the 4L60E because that's all Google would show me when I would search for information pertaining to what I had. Apparently not even google doesn't know how to drive a standard ;).

I was recently educated on the differences of the NV3500-NV4500 transmissions, and the fellas have recommended the NV4500 for the lower gear ratios that would likely benefit me when crawling off road.

That said, I entirely agree, but I've began to wonder if an NV4500 in my K1500 would be so low geared that I'd piss away my fuel even more on the highway miles? Just a secondary thought haha.

I must admit, the spray can exhaust fix needs a little fine tuning. I just need to narrow the can, and put both clamps directly over the leak itself. I think it's got so much space between the clamps and the hole that it actually sounds worse lol.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got !y hands on a cab visor. Got her all sanded up and ready to prime and paint. I'll end up sanding and painting the roof of the cab as well, since it's the only part of the truck suffering from any form of cancer.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cab/moon/sport/sun visor (everyone seems to call it something different) before/after....

I'd waited a long time for one of these and a local buddy that works at a salvage yard tracked this one down for me. It's a Lund model. You can tell it's been around a while as the paint's clear coat had been peeling all over, and there were some light cracks from sun exposure.

I sanded down the entire thing with my dremel (I'ma do what you can with what you got kinda feller) and prepped it for paint.

Ran down to the local Auto Parts Zone and picked up x2 cans of Silver Rustolium Primer+Paint as well as x2 Rustolium Clear Coats and laid that **** down throughout the day between calls (I work from home for a salvage transport company).

I used x1 can of color x1 can of clear on the visor itself, and I used the other cans on the cab roof, as it had a pretty gnarly rust spot up there.

I mocked up the position (didn't have anyone to help me :/ ) by holding it up on the cab. I wanted it as low as I could, and I just eyeballed the edges to make sure they were as close as I could. I used a permanent marker to mark the holes then pre-drilled and used self tapping screws to secure them to the cab.

Before screwing in the tappers, I used the only thing I had on me to seal the holes, some RTV Gasket maker; I squirt a bunch of that **** into the holes and then gobbed it up on top so that when I laid the visor down, ideally, it will create a seal. I used some washers and used my finger to put a lil extra gasket maker at the seams just for safe measure.

You can tell it's been rattle canned if you want to be a **** waffle about it; but truth is I intend to have the whole truck painted eventually anyway, and this is just to be temporary to make me feel better about myself lol!

Overall, I'm happy with the outcome. I'll get some better shots this weekend; as it's hailing like a mother this evening.

I'll keep you posted. I'm really hoping that gasket maker will be sufficient at keeping out the moisture.

Last edited:

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could only upload 5 images, so here is a shot of the roof.