Riggs - My 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 CCLB work truck and family play machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Basically my truck right now

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ordered a bunch of parts that I really didn't want to spend the money on, but should get me to a reliable status..

I'm going to Hawaii for 9 days on Saturday, and coming back into a 4 day work conference.

Might get a little time on the 20th to work on it, otherwise Saturday the 25th hopefully get it back together. Until then I'm going to F off for a while and not care about it!

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Updates! Well kind of.

TL : DR I got the busted water pump out and new one in. Also definitely sure at this point the fan clutch is what was causing all my woes. It grinds when you spin it by hand....

New water pump in again, again, again again. Window mod in the fan shroud visible there.
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't think this was OEM but it's definitely old, sad, and broken.

Ordered a new OE style rad from Mishimoto. First one showed up right before I left, but there was a problem....

Uh oh UPS, what did you do...

Sigh..

Mishimoto was great and had a new one shipped out same day when I let them know. Got home and opened the box up today to find this :( I think they were closed due to the holiday today so I will hit them up tomorrow. Hopefully 3rd time is the charm, or I'll have to try and find something local.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a new fan blade because figured everything water pump forward was getting replaced. This is from the 8.1 truck, the blades are HUGE! Also new fan clutch OFC, and I went with standard duty. We'll see how that works out for my needs.

Good news, the new setup is over a pound lighter as well. Happy about that.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New water pump studs were weirdly difficult to figure out.

The original ones were pretty well shot, even from long before I began this endeavor.

New proper ones are hard to find, the only thing that comes up says Dorman which I don't trust with anything at this point (EDIT: except my new fan blade apparently which was a Dorman branded unit from Rock Auto, but again, if you live 7.4 life, fan options are VERY limited).

Got these but they are wrong, need coarse threads on the water pump side.

Did some digging around and found these on McMaster https://www.mcmaster.com/94358A260/ Sure not cheap but neither was the ARP stuff, and literally all I could find unless I wanted to go just bolts. Should be able to use the ARP nuts/locking washers with these studs, so ordered them.

Now off to sit in a conference room for the rest of the week :(

Last edited:

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oof, that's a good run of bad luck. Hopefully you get everything dialed in and stop exploding water pumps b
Man let's hope so eh? If this doesn't do it I got to reinvent my belt setup, but I really am convinced now it was the !@$% fan clutch.........

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man let's hope so eh? If this doesn't do it I got to reinvent my belt setup, but I really am convinced now it was the !@$% fan clutch.........
I have to add something to your fan woes; an S10 fan bolts in place of the factory fan; it's a plastic 11 blade; my truck had the whimpy metal 5-blade so I swapped it out when I had to replace my radiator. I've got it paired with a Hayden Severe Service fan clutch and when the fan spins up my truck runs ice cold.
S10 Fan

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to add something to your fan woes; an S10 fan bolts in place of the factory fan; it's a plastic 11 blade; my truck had the whimpy metal 5-blade so I swapped it out when I had to replace my radiator. I've got it paired with a Hayden Severe Service fan clutch and when the fan spins up my truck runs ice cold.
S10 Fan
Interesting, I don't think I saw that one as an option when I was digging around. I like it... we'll see how this new setup does and I'll definitely keep it on the list. I like that it's plastic....

In other news Mishimoto, winning the day, dropping another rad in the mail to me no questions asked pretty much. FINGERS FREAKIN CROSSED UPS doesn't yeet this one into oblivion and I can maybe get this truck running this weekend. Local pickup options are probably the next choice there unfortunately, they all run $100+ more for likely a damn near identical radiator.

For reference here's the one I ordered, with online coupon cost $304 delivered, which isn't bad. Not rock auto cheap, but certainly in line: https://www.mishimoto.com/1994-2000-chevrolet-ck-2500-3500-replacement-radiator.html

Plus I got some rewards points to use on their site, which I'll need for another project if I can ever get to it... money keeps getting sucked up somehow.... :mad:

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Interesting, I don't think I saw that one as an option when I was digging around. I like it... we'll see how this new setup does and I'll definitely keep it on the list. I like that it's plastic....

In other news Mishimoto, winning the day, dropping another rad in the mail to me no questions asked pretty much. FINGERS FREAKIN CROSSED UPS doesn't yeet this one into oblivion and I can maybe get this truck running this weekend. Local pickup options are probably the next choice there unfortunately, they all run $100+ more for likely a damn near identical radiator.

For reference here's the one I ordered, with online coupon cost $304 delivered, which isn't bad. Not rock auto cheap, but certainly in line: https://www.mishimoto.com/1994-2000-chevrolet-ck-2500-3500-replacement-radiator.html

Plus I got some rewards points to use on their site, which I'll need for another project if I can ever get to it... money keeps getting sucked up somehow.... :mad:
Mk3 Supra?? I have one of those.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
S10 Fan

And that's the correct diameter? I assume it's the same thing the 1/2 tons got. From what I understand, half tons have smaller fans to go with their shorter radiators.