Fuel Quality!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I been running Marathon gas for several years now until today. Yesterday my favorite fuel station had bags on all their pump nozzles so I had to go down the street to a Chevron station. Pumped in $40 worth and went home. This morning I had to go back into town and do some running around. I drive like I wanna get there so I'm usually on the go pedal,MPG be damned. On the way back a slow poke jumped out in front of me so the first opportunity I got I mashed the motor. I was running about 40 and it lit the rear tire and shoved me in the seat when it grabbed back up. Ol Smoky has never run that good and after putting about 30 miles of cruise and stop and go the fuel gauge was reading the same as when I left the house. I don't know if it's all Marathon stations or just the one I usually haunt but there is definitely a difference in the amount of pop in the fuel.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried Murphy's and I'll not be going back there. Made my ElCamino ping like crazy. I had to back the timing off 6deg till I ran that crap out.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I stick with the bigger name stores that do steady business, with exception of ethanol free. Nearest store to me is a mom-n-pop country store that only sells diesel, kerosene, and ethanol free gas. That goes in the small engines, tractors, and (usually) suburban.

The revolving door of brand station thats generally cheapest on my route always lead to pinging and poor mileage in our dakotas and my old gmt400.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only ever seen one company's fuel truck in my neck of the woods. Maybe they go to different suppliers for each station, but the logistics seem overly complex. I'd bet it's all basically the same fuel.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've only ever seen one company's fuel truck in my neck of the woods. Maybe they go to different suppliers for each station, but the logistics seem overly complex. I'd bet it's all basically the same fuel.
Yes, with more or less turnover of supply and attention paid to quality of the tanks and pumps it comes outta.

Richard

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
The fuel company I worked for in high school delivered to several different stations they were contracted with. Each load came from whatever terminal (sunoco/exxon/shell) depending upon station. Terminals they used were all essentially next to one another.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run the cheapest crap in my company car and our 23 RAM. Wawa non-ethanol in the lawn equipment and pressure washer, Shell 93 in the Buick, and I'm about to go to Shell for the mid-grade stuff for the GMT400. I worked for Shell gas stations for many years, so I guess I'm just partial to that brand for the higher quality gas needs (Buick & GMT400).

So far I have only run Racetrac 89 in the GMT400, but it's now 5-months old. It was really my only safe choice at the time I bought it and drove it home. It was dead on empty when I left the previous owners house...