Best quality fuel tank for these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 97 C3500 that is in need of a fuel tank.

Im finding that Dorman and Spectra are the main contenders for a new tank.

I was curious if anyone on here has ordered a tank recently and can give feedback on the quality?

I really wanted GM, but its NLA, and I doubt I can find a very clean one in the salvage yard.

Also, any issues with rock auto shipping on items like this? Im tempted to pay a tiny bit more and get it through the local Napa, that way they can assist in case there is any freight damage.

Any input appreciated,
thanks!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the tank I got for the 87 was Spectra, but it is actually a Dorman. They made a nicer tank than the JUNK GM one it replaced. GM did not baffle the tank in that van well enough to keep fuel at the pump.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, right or wrong I have a Dorman on its way. Blame L31MaxExpress and my buddy who used to run a automotive repair shop (still does,but basically for his own use and close friends and neighbors, cows and crops keep him too busy to bother messing with outside customers. :)) he didnt hesitate when he recommended the Dorman.

In my research it appears the Spectra is just plated, whereas the Dorman is apparently galvanized AND painted. Plus the Dorman was about 50 bucks cheaper. With a discount code that expires tonight, Napa Online wasthe cheapest option. Amazon was next closest, then Rockauto in distant 3rd. Was able to tie it down for 124.78 after tax, free shipping.

Im a little strapped for time and dont have climate controlled area to paint (and winter is definitely here in NW KS), so im hoping the already painted Dorman will save me some time and effort.

Last edited:

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm late to the thread, but I went with Dorman for the same reasons you mentioned. It is still in box though as I'm still regearing/refreshing the new rear end that will go in at the same time when I pull the bed/leaking old tank.

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. shopping for new tank now. Thanks for posting the info. What about senders and fuel pumps? are the senders accurate? (GMT400 dont have low fuel warnings) Who makes the best fuel pump?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. shopping for new tank now. Thanks for posting the info. What about senders and fuel pumps? are the senders accurate? (GMT400 dont have low fuel warnings) Who makes the best fuel pump?
What year is your truck, they varied?