Drain Fuel Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray Parker

Reaction score
What is the best way to drain my fuel tank without taking the tank down.
I have read that jumping the fuel pump relay will work.
How would taking the fuel filter off and pumping it out using a electric fuel pump and hoses connected and pumping it into a 5 gal. Gas can ?
What would be the easiest and best way ?
Thank you in advance for your time and help.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
What is the best way to drain my fuel tank without taking the tank down.
I have read that jumping the fuel pump relay will work.
How would taking the fuel filter off and pumping it out using a electric fuel pump and hoses connected and pumping it into a 5 gal. Gas can ?
What would be the easiest and best way ?
Thank you in advance for your time and help.
When I had to replace the fuel pump on my Burb last year, I was being helped by my neighbor who does a fair amount of mechanic work. He had a hand pump siphon and we used that to get 25 gallons out. Would've gotten more out but we didn't have any more buckets.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 91, I strung a length of wire from my battery to the fuse box under the dash, and plugged it into the fuel pump slot.
Been a long time but I believe I removed the fuse and jammed the wire in.
I removed the line at the filter and put a chunk of hose on it and pumped into jerry cans.
There may be another way to do it, but that's how the manual said to do it.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If there's another car at hand with an empty fuel tank, that is the safest storage place for removed fuel. Saves having to transfer it all back again later too.
A simple and safe way to start a syphon. Take two tubes (circa 1/2'' ID but not critical) and push one into the tank to below the fuel level and its other end into wherever the fuel is going. The other one goes in but not so far as the fuel. Wrap a rag around the two tubes at the tank filler neck and wedge so temporarily forms an air tight seal. Now blow down that tube. When the fuel starts to flow from the other tube, pull the rag clear and leave the syphon to do its work.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ much better way than huffing it to get flow, lol

But yea, depending on if you have a TBI or Vortec you can disconnect the fuel line (TBI) or pull the Schrader valve (Vortec) and run rubber hose into a jerry can and jump the fuel pump at the relay or fuse panel. Never even have to get on the ground.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A squeeze bulb siphon hose is a cheap investment ($10) that pays for itself the first time you use it. I'm still using one I've owned for over 13 years and it drained a lot of gas tanks back at my old shop. The gas in most of the parts trucks was so old I didn't even want to risk running it in the lawnmower, so I had the oil recycling guys bring out 55gal drums and I'd fill them up, it cost me around $35/drum to correctly dispose of really old gas.

One can probably bet the most common reason someone might want to drain their tank is that they're dropping it to replace a bad fuel pump. That makes using the pump to drain the tank a non-starter. ;)

It also came in handy to lower the coolant level in the truck before pulling the intake to do gaskets. A nice clean drain pan means I could re-use the coolant instead of dumping it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had to drain mine because it split at the welded seam and couldn't fill over 1/2. But I agree, if your pump is caput....gotta find another way.
Had a customer brought a rusty up North truck down South.. bed was rusted out and he wanted to buy a replacement. No biggie. A little more pressing issue was on the way, the frame crossmember that hangs the front gas tank strap rusted through and let his tank fall down on the highway. :oops:

So, he got a replacement bed, tank, straps, fuel hard lines.. and we welded up a patch in the crossmember - long strip of 1/4" bar stock with a hole drilled in it and a nut welded on for the strap bolt. He was happy and I imagine the replacement stuff outlasted the rest of that poor truck.

Richard