Fuel tank Relocating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can try the tahoe set up. But can also have one of the pipes cross over to the other side.
You must be registered for see images attach

umwtnt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently on one of the Facebook groups an individual posted he had used the following on several trucks. Dorman part: Fuel tank straps 578-007, Fuel sending unit 692-005 and Fuel tank 576-328. These 3 items are on Amazon. on the tank the filler neck is off to one side and not in the center of the tank. Hopefully this helps you.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has a 4/6 c notch will headers and duel exhaust still work
Mine is also lowered the the same way.
I did have to cut the tailpipes behind the mufflers before they went over the axle to flip it.

I did this for a few reasons.
1st, to give myself room to work up under there.
2nd, I knew my existing pipes would interfere with the axle once it was flipped.
3rd, I will eventually be doing a motor swap and the exhaust would be getting redone anyway.

I also have lull length headers, there is no issue there. They do hang a little lower than the original manifolds did, but they are still higher than the bottom of the frame.

I'm pretty sure there is enough room between the top of the notch and bottom of the bed to sneak some exhaust pipes up and through. Just may have to notch the one bed brace under there. If and when I do mine that way, I'll probably put a little bit of header wrap on that section just to keep the heat from cooking the paint/bedliner.

Again.....you DON'T need a new fuel tank to run dual exhaust. Hopefully you saw it in my picture above, it can definitely be done. Any exhaust shop should be able to hook you up. Even if you plan on doing it yourself, it can be done.

Your choice of mufflers will matter a bit. Mine are twin turbos, but they had to mount them vertical instead of horizontal. You can see that in the pic as well.

Matt Ayalla

Reaction score
Not a great picture, but I used a fuel tank from an early 60’s Mustang in mine. Installed a universal sender in the top. Cool thing about those tanks were, they were the actual trunk floor on those cars. There’s a flange all the way around it with bolt holes for mounting. Fits under the stock bed floor, so no clearance issues there. I ran the filler neck straight up and fills through the bed floor. The only downside is, you’ll need to find/buy the factory style sending unit to plug the hole and supply fuel to the engine. It mounts on bottom. Not that big of a deal.

You must be registered for see images attach

Carmela_obs

Reaction score
There’s a good bit of options online through jegs, summit, and select off road fabricators for fuel cells, otherwise the other previously mentioned model tanks will work.

I to am building a true dual exhaust setup so ditched my tank for a bed mounted fuel cell. Checkout my build and the more recent posts have the fuel cell setup

Carmela OBS build

400Rogue

Reaction score
You're wanting to do side exit exhaust out the step side aren't you. I don't have any options to offer other than what others have already mentioned. But if it were me, and I were wanting to relocate the fuel tank, I'd do a fuel cell in the rear like Matt has.