Fuel gauge issue, but very specific situation!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I upgraded my 96 with a 98 style fuel tank and pump to help prevent cavitation when going off-roading. Gauge was working just fine before I changed the tank and pump. On initial startup after the swap, the fuel gauge was definitely off. Showing half tank when there wasn't that much in there (Likely had around 1/4 tank). Then, I put some gas in it to see how it would respond, about $20. It went up but to about 2pm.

Then, Since I have an 0411, I figured I'd try running the signal through the PCM to see if that would help for some reason. It didn't, as expected hahaha. When I cut the sender feed wire to reroute to PCM (PPL wire), it pegged to 3 o'clock. After reconnecting, it did pretty much the same thing. When the IGN is off and I tap the IC, the gauge moves to probably where it should be, just over 3/4 tank. Turn the key, 3 o'clock. I've checked all grounds, tried even connecting the sending unit ground to low reference from PCM to get a cleaner signal, no dice. Reversed sending unit leads to see if it would peg the other direction, no change.

I don't know if there's a way to reset the gauge, but I haven't found anything and I've about run out of ideas. I can't seem to pinpoint what changed.

The systems do not seem to differ much.

Any thoughts?

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the weird thing is, I removed the pump and the float, watched the fuel gauge as I manually moved the float from full to empty and nothing changed. Man it's very strange.

I found that someone had to do some volume table adjustments on their 0411 to get it to show right. I have a screwed up set up.

1) 0411 from a 2001 Express.
2) tank and pump from a 98.
3) Custer from a 96.

I was also thinking maybe the Rheostat on the newer style pump might work differently that on the 96.