Slipping trans after rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BradHanks15

Reaction score
I’m not sure if I’m understanding this correctly, but if I’m using the tester and it’s open to atmosphere and set at 5, when I test the boost valve circuit it goes up to 21. Would that mean it’s at 16 in? @NickTransmissions

BradHanks15

Reaction score
My set up shows 20 on the tcc. With the tester on the orfice and finger not in the valve bore it’s at 21 finger in the hole 22.5 and valve pushed has no change.

BradHanks15

Reaction score
To be honest I can’t justify spending 350$ on that test station on something I’m gonna use once. So I’m using a different setup someone else did. I did the calibration process they used however. I’m still using the test plate though.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest I can’t justify spending 350$ on that test station on something I’m gonna use once. So I’m using a different setup someone else did. I did the calibration process they used however. I’m still using the test plate though.
If you're not using the same equipment that I am, I won't be able to help you confirm or deny your set up and calibration is correct as I have no idea what you're actually using and whether or not it was manufactured like the Sonnax machine. So I'll have to assume your set up and calibration is correct but generally, I don't like making assumptions like that.

That said, if you're getting between 15-20 inch Hg in each valve train and 22-25 Hg when testing things like bore plugs and such, with the caveat that your equipment is well-made, set up and calibrated correctly, you should be fine.

Lastly - Quote my post if you want me to respond quickly...Otherwise, you likely won't see me reply for a day or so unless I happen to see you replied to this thread.

BradHanks15

Reaction score
If you're not using the same equipment that I am, I won't be able to help you confirm or deny your set up and calibration is correct as I have no idea what you're actually using and whether or not it was manufactured like the Sonnax machine. So I'll have to assume your set up and calibration is correct but generally, I don't like making assumptions like that.

That said, if you're getting between 15-20 inch Hg in each valve train and 22-25 Hg when testing things like bore plugs and such, with the caveat that your equipment is well-made, set up and calibrated correctly, you should be fine.

Lastly - Quote my post if you want me to respond quickly...Otherwise, you likely won't see me reply for a day or so unless I happen to see you replied to this thread.
Ok. Thanks for the info. I’ll recalibrate it and try again. I’m gonna take the sprag apart today and investigate it.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the info. I’ll recalibrate it and try again. I’m gonna take the sprag apart today and investigate it.
Also, when you do your testing - make sure you're testing cleaned parts...Hot tank/pressure wash the valve body and pump castings, then reassemble the valve body and pump stator support with all the valves (I use WD40 but fresh transmission fluid is also fine, but messy). If you're doing any testing on dirty parts, you may or may not get accurate results due to crud/sludge that may be in the bores.

Replace the forward sprag with the Borg Warner 29-element; take 400 grit sand paper and run it over the inside of the outer race to freshen up the surface, re-introduce cross hatching. If the surface looks really shiny like a mirror, replace the outer race as it's excessively worn. Inner race should look like a mirror but outer race should have a cross-hatch pattern.

BradHanks15

Reaction score
@NickTransmissions I took apart the pump and cleaned everything. Recalibrated my setup and put in the sonnax valve. Now all my readings are super low. Could it be possible taking the pump part did this? And all the circuits quit like that enough though the truck drove great before the first assembly in 1 and 2?