Slipping trans after rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BradHanks15

Reaction score
Waiting on a vaccum pump to do that test, but on the pump and a new torque the clearance is less on .0015. I don’t have anything smaller. Body to rotor clearance is more than .004 all 4 positions. Slide to body is about .0015. Light scoring on the working surfaces. Also found this damage on the sealing surface on the face. I bought another face to replace it.
@NickTransmissions
I’ll keep updating when I get the pump in.

BradHanks15

Reaction score
One more thing and apologies if this is a stupid question, but I found the inner spring is moving back and forth here. Wasn’t sure if it’s broken.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 3

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing and apologies if this is a stupid question, but I found the inner spring is moving back and forth here. Wasn’t sure if it’s broken.
No, the inner spring is a buffer spring for the boost valve; it moves freely back and forth inside the presssure regulator spring. The scratch marks on the stator are unsightly but wont impact anything.

BradHanks15

Reaction score
Ok thanks so much for your time btw.
Do you think the deep scratches on the front seal surface would make a big impact on pressure? I’m replacing it anyway but figured I’d ask.
You must be registered for see images attach

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks so much for your time btw.
Do you think the deep scratches on the front seal surface would make a big impact on pressure? I’m replacing it anyway but figured I’d ask.
No, the seal rides against the converter hub. No impact on pressure unless you were leaking fluid there real bad.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions inside of input drum looks ok. I just realized I didn’t change the o ring down inside. Could that be the issue? Still working on vacuum testing.
Nope - as long as that o-ring is there, you won't have any problems when it comes to wrong-gear starts...If you were to leave it out, you'd start off in third gear every time you put the transmission into Drive, D3 and bind up if you put it in Manual Low or 4th gear if you put it in Manual 2.

Things you want to pay attention to are lip sealing surfaces on forward and coast clutch pistons, forward piston housing, drum-input shaft leakage at the forward and/or coast clutch feed, excessive clearance in the forward clutch (not likely unless a friction and/or steel was left out of the pack), valve body (manual valve leakage - this is rare), cross leaks/case warpage at the belly worm tracks...There may be a few other areas but off the top of my head, those are it for now.

Let me know once you have had a chance to do the vacuum testing on the pump and valve body and we can go from there..For vacuum testing reference material, you can check out my 4L60E vac test videos:

Pump:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Valve Body:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media