How to Remove Fuel from tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pumped the last 1/3 gallon using the fuel pump method - Thx
The GasTapper siphon worked great once I got the hose into the tank - I'd estimate it pumped 1 gal/min.
I'll put some Star Tron Enzyme Diesel Fuel Treatment in the gas cans to keep it stable. Yes, Diesel treatment - I accidentally purchased 1 gallon of this stuff several years ago. I contacted the company to ask if I could use it in gas. They said yes, but you only need to use half as much. By far the best fuel stabilizer I've ever used. Never had any gas turn when treated with this stuff (unlike sta-bil).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just know that if you plug in an external pump, you need to place that pump lower than the fuel tank so it can use the siphon effect. Pumps push very well, but put them in a position where they have to suck the fuel up a hill and they burn out quickly.

Air Force bomb lifts use a Holley electric fuel pump, and half a dozen times I saw techs try to use a spare one as a tool to pump down a fuel tank in another piece of equipment. They always burned it up. Almost every time they were trying to pump the tank out into a 55-gallon drum, and they always set the fuel pump on top of the drum. If I'd known then what I know now...