7.4 swap c1500 tight on the passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C1500

Reaction score
Recently me and my dad have been working on rebuilding an old work truck 454 block and dropping it into what was a 350 1991 c1500 (regular cab, short bed). We’ve run into some problems with getting the headers in on the passenger side of the engine bay. It’s for a senior project and has to be presented forwards the end of next week, otherwise we would have tried to figure something else out. Ended up having to beat in the headers and shave down the frame a little (yes I know, it’s bad ). Anyways, my question is: is it normal for the engine to be this far left or did we do the motor mounts wrong (etc.)?
P.S. exited to be apart of this forum, I’m sure I’ll be back with more problems at some point and would really appreciate the help from you guys who have been around the block a little with these trucks

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 18

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The drivetrain in these trucks are shifted to the pass side, wanna say couple inches but not 100%. They did this to tuck everything in closer for better fitment for the front diff being so close to the engine and high in the frame.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Slight shift to passenger side for the steering shaft and for front diff, makes sense. @454C1500, in the future, the passenger side is the right side. All sides of vehicle is oriented by driver sitting in vehicle.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you had to mod that much, are you sure those are correct? At one time I could only install headers from the bottom up. In a 427 swapped Chevelle. But not beating on headers or affecting the frame.

454C1500

Reaction score
If you had to mod that much, are you sure those are correct? At one time I could only install headers from the bottom up. In a 427 swapped Chevelle. But not beating on headers or affecting the frame.
It’s hard to know because I wasn’t the one who ordered them to be honest, my Dad did, but he was pretty sure he got the right headers and motor mounts. With how much we had to fight them it’s really hard to know. After we present the truck we’ll have to pull them out and patch everything up the best we can.
P.S. would love to redo a Chevelle one day, we’ve got an old carcass of one that I’d love to redo, just didn’t have the time or money to do that one before I head off to college

454C1500

Reaction score
Slight shift to passenger side for the steering shaft and for front diff, makes sense. @454C1500, in the future, the passenger side is the right side. All sides of vehicle is oriented by driver sitting in vehicle.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.
Yeah, that’s what It seemed from anll of the looking online I did, I’m leaning towards the headers being wrong if anything is. Thanks for the correction, not totally fluent in car speak yet haha

454C1500

Reaction score
I g he ad to use headers specifically for a454SS for mine to clear. Made by JBS
We got JBA headers, thought we got the ones for the 454ss, but not entirely sure. My Dad said he thought for sure he got the ones for the big block, but we ended up making them work for now.