Can anyone identify this loud tapping after fuel hydrolock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had con rod rod big ends reconned with pistons still on them. Not ideal but would still be looking for used con rod sssembly for crankshaft balance factors

Last edited:

zzyzx

Reaction score
What rings and bearings should I be getting? I see there's tons of materials they're made from. I'll probably be ordering from summit or amazon. I'm going to go with standard size unless my measurements tell me otherwise.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would reuse the original rings. you don't need anything fancy for the bearings.. I would consider reusing if in good shape. i have seen problems when people do the "while I'm there" with engine bearings. unless you are checking clearances/machine work.

zzyzx

Reaction score
I got my hands on a used piston with rod. I noticed there is a little up and down play in the wristpin. While in the old one there's none, but it still moves freely. Is this normal? I measured about 0.0015" or so. I'm not sure my measuring setup is accurate. I can just barely feel it and hear it when i rock the rod.

Maybe the old one is just bent and that's why there seems to be less clearance.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be NO up and down play in the wristpin. The rod and pin should be able to smoothly slide side to side in the piston.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can feel play, there's too much.

I suppose you could MEASURE clearance between pin and piston pin bore, but only if you've got exceptionally-accurate and repeatable measuring tools, and only then if the piston and pin have been separated.