Spider Injectors Clogged Completely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A thief swapping engines sounds like a lot of work, but running it out of gas would make sense. If they ran it dry you could have a clogged filter, causing inadequate flow or pressure.
I know, looks just like yours except 2 wheel drive. When it was recovered I first thought they were about to pull the engine, lines cut grounds cut. When I went to put a new distributor cap on I noticed the back screw hole was not stripped, the original motor I had stripped it. I have not verified the VIN on the block, but pretty certain the engine was swapped.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the injection system has to have 55 psi minimum but 60-65 is preferred cranking or other wise. The regulator is built into the top of the spider where the fuel and electric is they are known to fail as do the poppets. The distributor caps are also known to cause problems of no start/ backfire. Wester’s Garage makes upgraded spiders and can program your computer if you so desire and the prices aren’t ludicrous
My stock spider setup had 66 psi key on and 62 psi at idle. The MFI upgrade was 58psi key on and 54 at idle.

For those of you tuning your own trucks, it will run with the spider upgrade decently but it will never be quite right with the factory injector data for the poppets. The upgrade spider uses different injector data programmed into the PCM on trucks that came from GM with them installed from the factory. I snagged the data out of a newer 4.3L truck. The newer 4.3L engines are returnless at 58 psi. When I tuned my van with the 0411 initially I used that newer returnless 4.3L injector data from the 0 kpa vacuum row and copied it into my tune. That fixed the noticeable fueling difference from the spider change on my then GM Goodwrench but otherwise OEM 350 in the van. After the injector data was inputed it ran smoother, better mileage and more power. Ran even better when I corrected the commanded air/fuel ratio for the 10% ethanol in the fuel.

PS I have that data in an Excel spreadsheet if anyone needs it. Flow rate, minimum pulse width, voltage vs kpa offsets and minimum pulse adder are all different.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If you are not daily driving it you can also do Antique. No inspection at all and plates last 5 years.
Yup we had those on the '79 square Burb when it was parked most of the time because the transmission was leaking badly from the front pump seal. Used a quart every hundred miles.....

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock spider setup had 66 psi key on and 62 psi at idle. The MFI upgrade was 58psi key on and 54 at idle.

For those of you tuning your own trucks, it will run with the spider upgrade decently but it will never be quite right with the factory injector data for the poppets. The upgrade spider uses different injector data programmed into the PCM on trucks that came from GM with them installed from the factory. I snagged the data out of a newer 4.3L truck. The newer 4.3L engines are returnless at 58 psi. When I tuned my van with the 0411 initially I used that newer returnless 4.3L injector data from the 0 kpa vacuum row and copied it into my tune. That fixed the noticeable fueling difference from the spider change on my then GM Goodwrench but otherwise OEM 350 in the van. After the injector data was inputed it ran smoother, better mileage and more power. Ran even better when I corrected the commanded air/fuel ratio for the 10% ethanol in the fuel.

PS I have that data in an Excel spreadsheet if anyone needs it. Flow rate, minimum pulse width, voltage vs kpa offsets and minimum pulse adder are all different.
Solved. The new spider injector solved the problem, couple of cranks and it fired right up. Next step is to flush the block and hook up the radiator. I will get around to programming later.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, looks just like yours except 2 wheel drive. When it was recovered I first thought they were about to pull the engine, lines cut grounds cut. When I went to put a new distributor cap on I noticed the back screw hole was not stripped, the original motor I had stripped it. I have not verified the VIN on the block, but pretty certain the engine was swapped.
They swapped engines, put a new spider assembly in and it fired right up. The original motor had 300K and rattled and knocked for a few minutes on start up. When this fired, no knocks, steady oil pressure. I was lucky to get it back, looks like a bonus with a fresher engine.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They swapped engines, put a new spider assembly in and it fired right up. The original motor had 300K and rattled and knocked for a few minutes on start up. When this fired, no knocks, steady oil pressure. I was lucky to get it back, looks like a bonus with a fresher engine.
Its rare they recover them without them being thrashed much less luck into a swapped engine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is a fresher engine worth all the exhaust and wiring issues, plus the failed spider?

I'm not thinking he came out ahead. Especially if the "newer" engine turns out to be a 305.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is a fresher engine worth all the exhaust and wiring issues, plus the failed spider?

I'm not thinking he came out ahead. Especially if the "newer" engine turns out to be a 305.
Fair enough, but his original engine sounded like it was ready to let go.

Richard

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its rare they recover them without them being thrashed much less luck into a swapped engine.
Captain Ferry with the Lockhart TX police department told me to get a lotto ticket. I told him I was pretty sure I just used my yearly allotment of luck on this recovery. The thieves not only swapped engines, but steam cleaned the interior, tinted windows, including the front, installed halogen headlights. Main thing I was glad to see in the back of the hoe was the driveshaft since it is a 2 WD 2 Door. The only thing busted up is the dash and steering column. Missing aftermarket radio, radiator, exhaust and cats.