Best choice for MPFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Long time viewer and reader of the threads here but I just want any possible new ideas or information on the topic. I know a lot of people recommend the mpfi conversion, and I have been needing to put a new spider in. I have been having a misfire code that won’t go away. I did my intake gaskets, both of them, and I had trouble with the poppet for #5. My exhaust somewhat smells like fuel, so I assume it’s the poppet I had trouble with. I did new plugs, wires, and distributor; however I still have a misfire. I’ve changed the plug for #5 since then, and it looked a little wet so I knew it was potentially fouled out. Does anyone recommend a specific brand for the spider? I can’t seem to find any AC-DELCO for sale anywhere, so I was wondering if there was any good potential substitutes for the spider. I’m not looking to go with a cheap, junk brand either. I was wondering if buying from autozone or something similar would be worth it and not a waste of money or time. Any specific recommendations for a good MPFI system to put in my 99 tahoe?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see one new ACDelco 217-3029 available on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174399943615

:roflsquared:

On a serious note, I don't see any new GM 89060440 or ACDelco 217-3029 around. Standard may be an option if you can find one of those. Otherwise, may want to try a refurbished/remanufactured one if indeed your current one is causing a misfire. Other than that, maybe another new one will pop up one day.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did mine last year. There was a shortage then too. I called around it turns out that there was something wrong with the machines at the factory that makes the OEM spider. Since they didn't know what was wrong at the time, they had no idea when it would be fixed.

That's why nobody had the OEM Delphi units back then and probably why you can't find them now. Every single Vortec truck had the spiders already pulled at the junkyards too. I overpaid and got a NOS one from Ebay.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I haven't used this, so take it with a grain of salt OP, but 1A Auto has a version for $500. I've bought several parts from them for my truck and other vehicles I've owned in the past and never had any issues with quality or service.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I haven't used this, so take it with a grain of salt OP, but 1A Auto has a version for $500. I've bought several parts from them for my truck and other vehicles I've owned in the past and never had any issues with quality or service.

Their front end parts (ball joints, rod ends, etc) are complete garbage that didn't even last a year, but I have never tried anything electronic from them.

eXo0us

Reaction score
I bought this one of ebay 2 years ago:

Brand
ACDelco (OE)
Manufacturer Part Number
217-3029

Came in orignal ACDelco box and FelPro Gasket set. For under $400. Works great.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some brands like Standard will sometimes send you a real Delphi part. They just source them wherever they can get them, and sometimes that's from the OEM. It's like winning the lottery. You can check by looking at the light gray plastic at the end of each spider leg. It should say Delphi on it. It's faint but it's there.

You must be registered for see images attach

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll also say be very careful putting the truck back together, the intake bolts are very delicate by now and will likely break if you actually put the full torque on them... I broke two when I did mine. :3811797817_8d685371

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Their front end parts (ball joints, rod ends, etc) are complete garbage that didn't even last a year, but I have never tried anything electronic from them.

Yeah I'll admit some of their parts don't look very good. They have very good tutorials but I'd stick with AC Delco or Moog parts. I do have Masterpro Tie rods, pitman arm, and steering gear which has all held up fine, but OEM or Moog would've been better in hindsight. I was able to get Moog Upper Ball Joints and AC Delco lower ball joints off Rockauto and now its my go to site for all my truck parts.