NV3500 input bearing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As some of you already know my '89 k1500 has a noisy input shaft bearing, and I have to drive this truck from Oregon to Kentucky in about a month. I was very busy with helping my dad get the house ready to sell, but now we're done with that and I basically have nothing but time.

I think it would be splendid if I could get this bearing replaced before I leave. I was wondering how long you guys might think this would take. Could I get this done between a Thursday afternoon, Friday all day, Saturday all day, and Sunday all day just by myself? I have to get it done on the weekend so I can drive to school. I think it's pretty doable, but I figured I'd ask the experts.

I would also be replacing the clutch, pressure plate, throughout bearing, slave, and master cylinder. Thanks again guys!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's input bearing? Do you mean the " pilot bearing " in the crank hub? Got trans jack/ lift? Ever done it before?

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never done it before. It's the bearing for the transmission input shaft, not the guide bearing. Yes I have a transmission jack. I have taken the transmissions out (and put back in) of a few of these trucks, I just haven't replaced that specific bearing before.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can do it. Research exactly how to replace the bearing, as in, know what all must come apart on the transmission. Make sure you have all the necessary tools, then get to it. Don't forget, you'll need oil to refill the trans. It would suck to get it all together Sunday afternoon, only to find that you can't get the correct oil until Monday morning!

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 2 bottles of Lucas syncromesh for my transmission as I planned to change the fluid and never got around to it. I am pretty sure I have all the tools I would need.