Spider Injectors Clogged Completely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!! That is my next step is check the pressure. Hopefully check that today.
Checked pressure reading 61-60 psi prime and goes down 40 cranking. It did bleed down after setting for a couple of minutes.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone with more recent experience could tell you if that's sufficient. 60psi at key on sounds fine but the 40psi during crank doesn't. You've got some good suggestions in here so far; you can carefully clamp off the return line and see if it's the regulator. I have a thick piece of plastic that is folded over that I use to protect rubber lines when clamping them off this way. Only do this very temporarily just to get your readings.

Richard
I rechecked fuses and hooked up the gauge again. prime 60+ and cranking 50 and holds. I tested it previously but may not have the connector screwed tight. I will try clamping the rubber lines next step.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rechecked fuses and hooked up the gauge again. prime 60+ and cranking 50 and holds. I tested it previously but may not have the connector screwed tight. I will try clamping the rubber lines next step.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Progress! It tried to fire, sounded like on maybe 2 cylinders, but it tried. I have a set of new spider injectors coming in tomorrow and hopefully have a chance to install.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Progress! It tried to fire, sounded like on maybe 2 cylinders, but it tried. I have a set of new spider injectors coming in tomorrow and hopefully have a chance to install.
Did you go with the MFI upgrade spider where it's actually 8 individual injectors, instead of the central injector with poppet valves? Hope so as the MFI upgrade is highly recommended.

Richard

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the injection system has to have 55 psi minimum but 60-65 is preferred cranking or other wise. The regulator is built into the top of the spider where the fuel and electric is they are known to fail as do the poppets. The distributor caps are also known to cause problems of no start/ backfire. Wester’s Garage makes upgraded spiders and can program your computer if you so desire and the prices aren’t ludicrous

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you go with the MFI upgrade spider where it's actually 8 individual injectors, instead of the central injector with poppet valves? Hope so as the MFI upgrade is highly recommended.

Richard
Yes I did. Should be in today, just watching for the Amazon truck. Next step, exhaust system. When it was stolen they took everything from exhaust manifolds back. But I'm in TX and after 25 years no emission inspection, just safety.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the injection system has to have 55 psi minimum but 60-65 is preferred cranking or other wise. The regulator is built into the top of the spider where the fuel and electric is they are known to fail as do the poppets. The distributor caps are also known to cause problems of no start/ backfire. Wester’s Garage makes upgraded spiders and can program your computer if you so desire and the prices aren’t ludicrous
Thanks! I have 62 prime. I ordered upgraded spiders, distributor cap is new.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes I did. Should be in today, just watching for the Amazon truck. Next step, exhaust system. When it was stolen they took everything from exhaust manifolds back. But I'm in TX and after 25 years no emission inspection, just safety.
Yup, $7 a year instead of $40+.... And you can get "classic truck" plates for no extra fees unless you want a personalized plate.