Confirmed brake bleeding scan tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you need special tools along with the scanner to do this?
I'll check out my Taskmaster when I get back home...I noticed it had an abs section....
Son is driving me to scrapyard. My 93 truck is down til tomorrow when my rear brake parts arrive. Then who knows how long after..lol

Would be a good opportunity to look into all this abs stuff....

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I plugged in an old Mac Tools Taskmaster and went to the ABS section....says select truck class...light duty, medium, other...then select 4wal or Rwal...

Selected 4wal and it prompted----- ABS may be disabled during the test-----

I just backed out because I don't have any rear brakes atm.... not sure what it does....

I think there may have been more options...will look into it more...

Edit...I don't think it will bleed... Data is pretty limited...

The newer Mac Tools ET7200 and ET6250 looks like they do.... spendy...

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Autel MaxiCheck pro came in, I updated it but I'm having a "no communication" error with the ABS module, regardless of my year make and model selections. Im unable to pull codes or live data through the ABS. All other OBD2 functions seem to be working though. Ill try to do some more diagnostics before calling it.

As a note with this device, 96-97 do not have the "active tests" function available but 98-99 do.

You must be registered for see images attach

As far as a scan tool goes, it seems like a nice unit. Nice clicky buttons and a clear screen. Easy to navigate menus.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Autel MaxiCheck pro came in, I updated it but I'm having a "no communication" error with the ABS module, regardless of my year make and model selections. Im unable to pull codes or live data through the ABS. All other OBD2 functions seem to be working though. Ill try to do some more diagnostics before calling it.

As a note with this device, 96-97 do not have the "active tests" function available but 98-99 do.
So tentatively a "no" for the EBC310?

Brake Bleeding Tool Matrix​
Iron RWAL​
Aluminum RWAL​
EBC4 (92-94)​
EBC310 (‘95-on)​
Snap-On 14.2 Software​
No tool req’d​
Yes​
Snap-On 17.2 Software​
Snap-On 8.2 Software​
No
Snap-On 6.2 Software​
No
Autel MaxiCheck Pro​
No

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So tentatively a "no" for the EBC310?

Brake Bleeding Tool Matrix​
Iron RWAL​
Aluminum RWAL​
EBC4 (92-94)​
EBC310 (‘95-on)​
Snap-On 14.2 Software​
No tool req’d​
Yes​
Snap-On 17.2 Software​
Snap-On 8.2 Software​
No
Snap-On 6.2 Software​
No
Autel MaxiCheck Pro​
No
I’m not condemning it yet. I want to verify with my mt2500 and check a few things.

OBSOutpost

Reaction score
I have a GM Tech II that bleeds ABS brakes, I was also able to diagnosis the pass lock module on 98/99 trucks. This is the holy grail of scanners if you own a 1996-2013 GM truck. The Tech II is the master diagnostic tool that all GM dealerships use. My Tech II is a $300 china clone but is identical to the $2k version. I also use it on my 2005 HUMMER H2 SUT.

barry_g

Reaction score
the 96 has a primitive problem.
an inspector informed me ,the debug is old school. no obd2 connection for some. I am just one of them..not even implemented to interact with obd2 in any way. I only have spider injection and all the gadgets. I have a May 96 manufacture. Truck untouched, all oem.
5 speed manual oem..It might have something to do with the very lightweight harness. Maybe it was a friday. Who knows?

light on? check speed sensors. these fix in realtime as well.. "reset" is a hoax. You are resetting nothing.
these trucks ring gear lasts as long as the CV..very protected. It has that going for it.

as far as bleeding, these are very passive. not sure where that is coming from.. "air in the abs". I have seen it in comments a few times, and they fade away...probably realizing, you just bleed the lines like every other vehicle.

a most common problem is synching speed sensors. these are way too sensitive. they can't even math a dual brand combo either... need to be identical, same distance into the hole. as these age, iron bulding up on the hubs..odds are astronomical to get it right first try.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1996 K1500 built June 21,1996 has zero issues connecting to OBD2. Have never tried an auto bleed scan tool on it, don’t need it currently, but hoping it will, if and when it needs to. I’ve also never heard of anyone with a 1996 having an issue connecting to OBD2(aside from the vehicle having an issue).

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 96 has a primitive problem.
an inspector informed me ,the debug is old school. no obd2 connection for some. I am just one of them..not even implemented to interact with obd2 in any way. I only have spider injection and all the gadgets. I have a May 96 manufacture. Truck untouched, all oem.
5 speed manual oem..It might have something to do with the very lightweight harness. Maybe it was a friday. Who knows?

light on? check speed sensors. these fix in realtime as well.. "reset" is a hoax. You are resetting nothing.
these trucks ring gear lasts as long as the CV..very protected. It has that going for it.

as far as bleeding, these are very passive. not sure where that is coming from.. "air in the abs". I have seen it in comments a few times, and they fade away...probably realizing, you just bleed the lines like every other vehicle.

a most common problem is synching speed sensors. these are way too sensitive. they can't even math a dual brand combo either... need to be identical, same distance into the hole. as these age, iron bulding up on the hubs..odds are astronomical to get it right first try.
The ABS isn't diagnosed through "OBD2", it's diagnosed with it's own wire in the OBD2 connector. OTOH, if your scan tool won't connect to the engine/trans computer, there's something wrong--either the scan tool has problems, or the vehicle has problems (faulty wiring, faulty computer, etc.) The vehicle by law has to be compatible with OBD2 protocol including connectivity with scan tools.

Resetting the safety switch in the combination valve is a "real" thing. If the safety switch valve has moved out of it's centered position, it has to be re-set "centered" to turn off the BRAKE light on the dash. There is some question about this; my experience has been that the safety switch automatically re-centers; but I've heard enough stories about having to manually re-center safety switches that there must be something to it. I have manually reset exactly two safety switches, both on old Fords. Every GM I've worked on has been self-centering. But I haven't worked on every GM ever, so maybe I've just been lucky.

I've never had a problem "synching" speed sensors. Either they work right, or something is wrong. Sometimes the wire harness is damaged; sometimes the sensor is bad, and sometimes the sensor is contaminated with iron filings from wear in the bearing hub; or debris picked-up from the road in the case of sensors in open-air. Point is, when the harness or the sensor is repaired, replaced, or cleaned as needed...they work as intended. I've never had to play games with sensors to get them to match each other. There was a time I suspected a problem like that on my Trailblazer. Replaced the right-front sensor, which then caused the ABS to act goofy instead of just being totally disabled. At first I thought there was some unusual problem with the new RF sensor. I soon figured out that the left-front sensor was also damaged. Replacing that sensor returned the system to normal operation.