Can anyone identify this loud tapping after fuel hydrolock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zzyzx

Reaction score
I replaced the spider in my 2000 Escalade. Started it and fuel was coming out the exhaust and running like crap. So I killed it and swapped in a delphi spider. Figured all was good since it was still running when i turned it off. Went to crank and heard a clunk and then nothing. Didn't try again. Removed the plugs and cleared out the fuel. Started it again and now I have this tap.

I've checked the rockers. There's no play. Also changed the oil. I haven't checked compression yet. Plan on doing that once the rain stops.

It's hard to tell which side the noise is even coming from. It sounds like it changes sides depending on which position my head is in. And it seems pretty loud.

It's my only daily so I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me find the best course of action. Thanks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It really ****** me off people get away with selling replacement parts that can destroy engines. Don't buy ebay fuel injectors.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if you had to empty cylinders of excess fuel and depending how much was in there, you may have hydraulically locked a cylinder, which is not good. (I don't want to get all doom and gloom on you, but you mentioned the clunk while cranking and now this constant rapping knock, it sounds bad.

Liquid does not compress so if there is too much of it in a cylinder, the result is usually a bent connecting rod.

How much was coming out of the cylinders?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Compression check will tell you a lot. Doom and gloom here, sounds like a bent rod unfortunately.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh jeez this sounds almost as bad as a broke connecting rod. It's not going to be your daily going forward. You're done driving it for now. Continue running it and the parts being held captive will find their own way out of the block. Maybe broke a piston into 2 pieces that are still hanging on the wrist pin. Liquid doesn't compress.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It really ****** me off people get away with selling replacement parts that can destroy engines. Don't buy ebay fuel injectors.
you're the one that bought the cheap shyt. let it be a learning lesson. Almost everybody on this site would have told you to buy the best quality replacement parts you could get your hands on......the first time.

Last edited:

zzyzx

Reaction score
you're the one that bought the cheap shyt. let it be a learning lesson. Almost everybody on this site would have told you to buy the best quality replacement parts you could get your hands on......the first time.
Kick rocks till you got something worthwhile to say.

zzyzx

Reaction score
Well if you had to empty cylinders of excess fuel and depending how much was in there, you may have hydraulically locked a cylinder, which is not good. (I don't want to get all doom and gloom on you, but you mentioned the clunk while cranking and now this constant rapping knock, it sounds bad.

Liquid does not compress so if there is too much of it in a cylinder, the result is usually a bent connecting rod.

How much was coming out of the cylinders?
Didn't seem like a lot really. I've had hydrolocks before that were worse and didn't break anything. But I definitely broke something. I'm just trying to get this on the road as soon as possible.

zzyzx

Reaction score
Compression check will tell you a lot. Doom and gloom here, sounds like a bent rod unfortunately.
I'll update after compression test. I'm more looking for what to do next though. I have the tools to get done what needs to be done.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need a long block or at the very least a short block. Regardless of what a compression test shows, that one is hurt. I would not even bother with a compression test, just get straight to pulling it out of the truck.

If you are super lucky it just broke the flexplate, but that sounds like severe rod knock to me, perhaps even a broken rod slapping around.

When my 97 hydraulic locked at 57K on startup from bad intake gaskets it completely grenaded the thing. Broken rods, shattered piston, cam broken in 3 pieces, hole in #2 cylinder wall and multiple holes in the oil pan.