Best radiator for the $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I find the same part # as Oriellys @ advance w the same price and in stock.Orilleys needs 24 hrs.So i'm gonna get it,hoses,stat.antfreeze at advance and save 25% w their online discount. I'm off work mon. and should have time get the parts, flush it well and replace.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I believe Spectra makes the radiators for Advance and Napa. I got one damaged in the box, but the other 2 have been fine. This is in my Camaro. The ECP radiators have had my curiosity for a bit. As long as customer service is good, it seems like a decent way to go. Really eyeballing them again for my Camaro. The stocker doesn't quite keep up chasing in race traffic on a 100 degree day.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
https://www.gmt400.com/posts/1116564/

454SS radiator upgrade. Direct replacement, no modifications necessary. Towing uphill in 90F+ weather cruising at 65 MPH in 3rd gets the truck to about 195F at hottest. On the downhill I can see the coolant temp gauge drop back to ~180F in less than 3-5 minutes. Love the upgrade, well worth the money.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
https://www.gmt400.com/posts/1116564/

454SS radiator upgrade. Direct replacement, no modifications necessary. Towing uphill in 90F+ weather cruising at 65 MPH in 3rd gets the truck to about 195F at hottest. On the downhill I can see the coolant temp gauge drop back to ~180F in less than 3-5 minutes. Love the upgrade, well worth the money.

That's the same radiator they used in the cop Tahoe's.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this. It's an upgrade to stock, but I don't know if it is Chinesium or not. Prices out at $257 all aluminum all TIG welded...no epoxy.

www.speedcooling.com/1988-1998-chevy-truck-aluminum-radiator-upgrade.html

I think it said it's a two row, and has 1" tubes. They are based out of Chicago.

I bought a 4 row Chinesium on eBay for about the same price a while back. Probably a mistake, but if it dumps on me, I am going to buy one of these, instead.
I have two ECP/speedcooling for my Nova and Chevelle. I did alot of research and the 1" tubes are a big advantage. I put a Be Cool in my uncles's Camaro, expensive but it is beautifully polished. Mine will work just as well. In my 89, I used an aftermarket from Keystone, probably TYC. I took my chances for $147, if it fails I will get an ECP.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the radiator on my k3500 '00 right when I bought it with 206k miles. Got it at PepBoys and it's a Spectra with that goofy rubber cap with a hose clamp. The truck had green antifreeze/coolant, so I stuck with that. Probably only have put about 1,000 miles since I got it 3 years ago. I can't remember if I was able to determine if it was the original or not, but didn't notice that cap with hose clamp on the one I took out? No history on the truck...

OTOH, my 99 Silverado 4.3 is still rocking the original radiator, with that Dexcool that most here hate... I've replaced the heater core and done about 3 coolant drain and refill...now at 255k but still original radiator. Water pump was replaced about 5k ago. Thermostat about 6 years ago. Just using tap water for the balance of water, nothing fancy.

I'm doing a 5.3 swap soon and that setup has a bit different radiator. Don't know if the OEM is any different than the aftermarket? Was thinking just hitting the local guys parting out similar trucks! Way cheaper than buying at the local parts store. Radiators ain't cheap.

Just here thinking what you guys are running as a coolant, or if it even matters? Does draining and replacing coolant help prolong the life of the radiators? Probably

need a degree in metallurgy? LOL

Maybe worth mentioning that on your experiences?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the radiator on my k3500 '00 right when I bought it with 206k miles. Got it at PepBoys and it's a Spectra with that goofy rubber cap with a hose clamp. The truck had green antifreeze/coolant, so I stuck with that. Probably only have put about 1,000 miles since I got it 3 years ago. I can't remember if I was able to determine if it was the original or not, but didn't notice that cap with hose clamp on the one I took out? No history on the truck...

OTOH, my 99 Silverado 4.3 is still rocking the original radiator, with that Dexcool that most here hate... I've replaced the heater core and done about 3 coolant drain and refill...now at 255k but still original radiator. Water pump was replaced about 5k ago. Thermostat about 6 years ago. Just using tap water for the balance of water, nothing fancy.

I'm doing a 5.3 swap soon and that setup has a bit different radiator. Don't know if the OEM is any different than the aftermarket? Was thinking just hitting the local guys parting out similar trucks! Way cheaper than buying at the local parts store. Radiators ain't cheap.

Just here thinking what you guys are running as a coolant, or if it even matters? Does draining and replacing coolant help prolong the life of the radiators? Probably

need a degree in metallurgy? LOL

Maybe worth mentioning that on your experiences?

I run the green myself. Also, a diesel radiator and reservoir pairs nicely with an LS swap.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's test strips available to check normal green coolant. Extended-life coolant isn't compatible with most test-strips. If there are test-strips for extended-life coolant, they may be specific to the individual formulations.

Also check for radiator voltage. Two causes of radiator voltage: Worn-out coolant acting as electrolyte among the dis-similar metals of the cooling system--iron, aluminum, brass, copper, etc; and poor grounding of the electrical system. Either cause will cause erosion of the metals in contact with the coolant.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the top tank cracked on my '94 Burb a couple of years ago, and probably could have been fixed with something, I opted for a new rad from NAPA. Still working great and keeping the 383 cool even in 100 degree heat last summer while towing. Glad I replaced it cause discovered the bottom of the old rad was plugged. Can't remember the price but it wasn't bad. Lot cheaper than a becool one of which I put in an '88 454 Suburban when we lived in Las Vegas in 2003. A lot more expensive now.