97 OBS 5.7 Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

so there is liquid in this? I know what the ones with liquid have a capillary tube i was talking about this

That's solid aluminum. Liquid would need a way to circulate to another object/place. There are liquid cooled PCs, but they're a DIY thing, mostly for the wow factor or maybe it benefits overclocking the processor. I've never explored it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are liquid cooled PCs, but they're a DIY thing, mostly for the wow factor or maybe it benefits overclocking the processor.

It does benefit overclocking, but IMO it still doesn't really make sense. I'd rather spend the money allocated for a decent liquid cooling setup on faster components that don't require it to run at similar speeds. That way you don't have to worry about your computer leaking. :lol:

Not sure how this thread ended up here but it's been an interesting read.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's solid aluminum. Liquid would need a way to circulate to another object/place. There are liquid cooled PCs, but they're a DIY thing, mostly for the wow factor or maybe it benefits overclocking the processor. I've never explored it.
yes, I have one next to me, but I was saying that I wasnt sure if computer heatsinks(the kind i showed) had fluid but i doubt they did. the kind he was showing me were the ones you put on a CPU that come with the CPU normally(intel) , they have a capillary tube in the center with a liquid and then also has alunium heat sink to dissipate and the fan to move air lol

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
Get a TYC or the Spectra premium. There is no advantage getting an expensive aluminum radiator when a the original design is more than adequate. Use your funds for other real qualified improvements.
So I bought the TYC hand have to say it was complete junk. I installed it upon arrival, got all air out of the radiator, thought everything was good and BOOM started leaking from the bottom of the radiator. Did a pressure test after and a hairline crack in the metal frame. SMH, luckily I got refunded for it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I bought the TYC hand have to say it was complete junk. I installed it upon arrival, got all air out of the radiator, thought everything was good and BOOM started leaking from the bottom of the radiator. Did a pressure test after and a hairline crack in the metal frame. SMH, luckily I got refunded for it.

I also got my hands on a junk TYC, I ordered it ahead of time building my 97 Express. I was past the point of returning it with the re-seller. No offer for a return or the manufacturer to make good on it at all. Mine had a load of pinholes that showed up in the core as if the aluminum had been acid washed during assembly and remained on the core. It never even pressurized, just started spraying coolant immediately.

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

so there is liquid in this? I know what the ones with liquid have a capillary tube i was talking about this
There is no Liquid in that to answer your question, but under it is a Thermal paste to help dissipate the heat throughout the block for what ever chip is under it. If it is a CPU, then there should be a fan close by to blow air over it. (BTW I build computers)

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
I also got my hands on a junk TYC, I ordered it ahead of time building my 97 Express. I was past the point of returning it with the re-seller. No offer for a return or the manufacturer to make good on it at all. Mine had a load of pinholes that showed up in the core as if the aluminum had been acid washed during assembly and remained on the core. It never even pressurized, just started spraying coolant immediately.
I got mine from Amazon new and It was a nightmare. While I was at it, I did go to Car parts and bout a radiator and Condenser kit. I already had the New compressor and Refrigerant. So I went back to Amazon and got the dryer also. I previously replaced the heater core. I now have Ac in the truck, which I am happy about.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Sounds like maybe it was in the furnace too long. There's no reason to acid wash them after brazing. They come out ready for tanks.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Sorry about that. Mine has been fantastic.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I don't know, has quality world wide bombed? Yeah, probably, you hear the horror stories , not second or third hand but a friend or cousin, neighbor.
I am or are very lucky , that the two radiators I installed , the Tahoe and the K2500, have not had problems. The Tahoe went in before the pandemic. If now the TYC have turned to junk that's a bummer. I really thought someone had a good aftermarket product. The new RR taillight assembly i installed August past is still going good.
Another one bites the dust..... :3811797817_8d685371