Radiator End Tank Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
All my trucks have that upper hose support bracket. Maybe it's time to investigate the motor mounts. I found that discussion from eons ago, it was started by @454cid but he caved and installed a new radiator. I have one more radiator in my possession and it's much newer, then I just have 2 broken radiators to swap into my 1500. Trying to be a cheap ass here, I already lit all my money on fire and then some with my racing addiction this summer.

I'm on my 3rd radiator in 300K miles.... Original, a US (Lockport. NY) made Delphi that was identical to the OEM except for no drain, and a TYC. I still have the original in the corner of my garage. That's the one that I had the tank replaced and a couple of years later the oil cooler popped inside. Theoretically I could probably still use it since I plugged the oil cooler ports on the block. The first two were 3 row, and the TYC is a two row with wider cores, so it should cool better. I was impressed when I got. It's made in China, but it looked fantastic... and I've built OEM radiators when working for a Tier 1 supplier. The only issue is that TYC made the neck a little too tall, so it rubs on the insulation. It's in between the proper height, and the HD neck height.

I'm in the process of cleaning my garage... when I get to the original radiator, I'll probably recycle it unless someone here really wants it.

My theory is that the upper hose bounces on the support bracket. After the second radiator cracked, I used zip ties to secure the hose to the bracket.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The first two were 3 row, and the TYC is a two row with wider cores, so it should cool better.

Thank you for saying this, The link that I used to post up explaining this has disappeared.

If an aluminum radiator is less than 3" thick it doesn't need more than 2-rows.

And a welded all-aluminum radiator may give some advantages when mounting in custom applications but otherwise plastic ended rad's are in millions of cars for 150k+ miles without any problems. Welded radiators tend to propagate hairline stress cracks and fail at a bung

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with the all alluminum radiators on EBay. Yeah they’re Chinese but unless you wanna spend $600 for ORM (made in China ) just get one of those. Installed 4 of them so far in different vehicles never had a issue.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did a search for “radiator e…” the search engine suggested “radiator end tank replacement” and those items were listed in the first link I selected.

I think our phones are listening to us…
:suspicious:
Test run:
I'm in the market for a yellow harmonica. Yup, will be purchasing a yellow harmonica within the next few days. Nothing like having a brand new yellow harmonica.