97 OBS 5.7 Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Interesting about the thermal capacity and the weight part, didnt really think of those two. but what I said about the ability to dissipate more with more surface area im still pretty sure is true because of the scale of a car radiator vs a computer heat sink/maybe even radiator for a computer too. a heat sink isnt flowing fluid through it (that I know of). also, with the future of coolants in the 90s going to things like dexcool, which use additives to create a protective surface internally on the aluminum to prevent wear and corrosion, that may have been part of it. if you used dexcool combined with a brass/copper radiator you would eat the solder joints away
A heat sink is just a device that pulls heat from one medium and transfers it to a nother medium In the case of a radiator it is transfering heat from coolant to the air.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A heat sink is just a device that pulls heat from one medium and transfers it to a nother medium In the case of a radiator it is transfering heat from coolant to the air.
I meant ones used in computers. I assume they have no fluid in them, just solid machined metal, but i am not speaking as an authority

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excellent way of heating your home too!
You must be registered for see images attach
My house originally was 1 story and the house was heated that way. So now it has copper lines popping up in random places where the radiators used to be lol. I imagine mice use it but thats just a theory

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I meant ones used in computers. I assume they have no fluid in them, just solid machined metal, but i am not speaking as an authority

Heat sink​

A heat sink is a passive heat exchanger that transfers the heat generated by an electronic or a mechanical device to a fluid medium, often air or a liquid coolant, where it is dissipated away from the device, thereby allowing regulation of the device's temperature. In computers, heat sinks are used to cool CPUs, GPUs, and some chipsets and RAM modules. Wikipedia

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Interesting about the thermal capacity and the weight part, didnt really think of those two. but what I said about the ability to dissipate more with more surface area im still pretty sure is true because of the scale of a car radiator vs a computer heat sink/maybe even radiator for a computer too. a heat sink isnt flowing fluid through it (that I know of). also, with the future of coolants in the 90s going to things like dexcool, which use additives to create a protective surface internally on the aluminum to prevent wear and corrosion, that may have been part of it. if you used dexcool combined with a brass/copper radiator you would eat the solder joints away

Years ago, I put some long-life/dexcool type stuff in my 69 Buick, and I'd get what was called solder bloom. Later I found out it was the coolant. It's still in there, and it doesn't leak, but it doesn't get pressurized often, either. I'm hoping to work on it this coming summer (needs a water pump among other things) and I'll put something in that's better for it.... either traditional green, or maybe one of the non-Dex coolants, if they'll work.... G05 or G48? I'll have to research that.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wikipedia is not an Encyclopedia. Nor is it peer reviewed for accuracy.
Heat exchangers, heat sinks potato potado.
Copper prices skyrocketed when the demand exceeded availability. Construction demands, building requirements and the closing of two major copper mines.
One reason added to dropping copper rads, was losing, grams, ounces, lbs wherever they could, less weight means less energy required to move. Meaning getting to those MPG regulations.
Like any problem to be solved, some good engineering to overcome the Cu to Al thermal conductivity.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago, I put some long-life/dexcool type stuff in my 69 Buick, and I'd get what was called solder bloom. Later I found out it was the coolant. It's still in there, and it doesn't leak, but it doesn't get pressurized often, either. I'm hoping to work on it this coming summer (needs a water pump among other things) and I'll put something in that's better for it.... either traditional green, or maybe one of the non-Dex coolants, if they'll work.... G05 or G48? I'll have to research that.
I wonder if the radiator is only intact because it hasnt had heat/pressure cycles (which would kill a daily)?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Heat sink

A heat sink is a passive heat exchanger that transfers the heat generated by an electronic or a mechanical device to a fluid medium, often air or a liquid coolant, where it is dissipated away from the device, thereby allowing regulation of the device's temperature. In computers, heat sinks are used to cool CPUs, GPUs, and some chipsets and RAM modules. Wikipedia
You must be registered for see images attach

so there is liquid in this? I know what the ones with liquid have a capillary tube i was talking about this

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wonder if the radiator is only intact because it hasnt had heat/pressure cycles (which would kill a daily)?

That's my thought. Either that or the reaction is self limiting, meaning that the corrosion protects the base metal from further corrosion.

I have a spare radiator if I need it, and I've also located a real radiator shop about an hour from me, if I need it.