Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Alright folks I am swapping the ole 28" core radiator out for the 34" core 'HD" radiator. I have a 1990 GMC K2500 5.7L 350 and am currently gathering parts to swap the radiator. Could someone give me a list of parts I need maybe with part numbers ? I know I need a different shroud, possibly longer hoses, and possibly actual mounting brackets that hold the radiator up in place. Brackets and isolators I might add. I already have the radiator! its so strange its difficult to find information on this topic or rather useful information.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Strangely enough, I was thinking about doing this, just after I had started a thread here about getting pre bent transmission cooling lines for my girl's OBS, listed in my signature, that is a Bow Tie GM instead of this GMC truck. I was hooked up by a member here, @Caman96, but that is for the 5.7 engine in her truck. I wonder if the transmission lines are different for the big block. There is a hold down line "clip" on P/S at the crossmember, next to the motor mount. Big block clip location may be different. Does anyone know?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Alright folks I am swapping the ole 28" core radiator out for the 34" core 'HD" radiator. I have a 1990 GMC K2500 5.7L 350 and am currently gathering parts to swap the radiator. Could someone give me a list of parts I need maybe with part numbers ? I know I need a different shroud, possibly longer hoses, and possibly actual mounting brackets that hold the radiator up in place. Brackets and isolators I might add. I already have the radiator! its so strange its difficult to find information on this topic or rather useful information.
Just a heads up. I looked at Rock Auto and the K2500 pickup did not start the big block engine till 1991. I will look at the transmission cooling line source to see if there is a difference between small block and big block applications.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like the only transmission cooling line difference is whether it is a 700R4 transmission or a 4L80E transmission.

Reaction score
try looking up part numbers for a 7.4
yes I was thinking about that. I wil
Strangely enough, I was thinking about doing this, just after I had started a thread here about getting pre bent transmission cooling lines for my girl's OBS, listed in my signature, that is a Bow Tie GM instead of this GMC truck. I was hooked up by a member here, @Caman96, but that is for the 5.7 engine in her truck. I wonder if the transmission lines are different for the big block. There is a hold down line "clip" on P/S at the crossmember, next to the motor mount. Big block clip location may be different. Does anyone know?
I was thinking about that too I think the lines are probably bent different and maybe even longer. I have a 350 with turbo 400 in my 90 gmc k2500.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
yes I was thinking about that. I wil

I was thinking about that too I think the lines are probably bent different and maybe even longer. I have a 350 with turbo 400 in my 90 gmc k2500.
Sorry, did not notice what they said about Turbo 400 transmissions but I am sure it is covered at the web site.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are two different big block radiators. One is 34 X 18, the other is 34 X 20. Two inches taller. With the taller one you need the the taller upper shroud if you keep the small block. If it's a big block you need the big block shroud. The big block fan sits higher so different shroud upper and lower. Taller rad also has "Z" shaped upper metal mount plates and the filler over grill area is step shape.
You can get a high capacity radiator with oil and trans cooler and 2.2 core, 3 row , 34 X 18, with a TYC # 624. This size is installed with factory big blocks. The bottom rubber mounts , pull and reinstall in outboard holes. Same with upper plates, move to outboard mount holes, for production runs their already in place. You may have to bend or trim the side sheet metal ,on the earlier year. On my 93, I had to bend a little on the sides. On the 95 and 98 it was a drop in. You my have to get an adapter for the trans cooler lines. A male inverted flare adapter , common got mine at O'Reilly's off the shelf. The shroud you'll have measure. All three of mine had 34 wide radiator, so drop in. Economy wise I would think there is small block and big block tall shrouds only. Why make a separate narrow shroud, just make millions same size. But that shouldn't be a problem , even at treasure yard.
It gets above 100° F for weeks at a time here. So I wanted a good high capacity cooling system. I also installed the factory Aux fan and a power steering cooler I got off an HD at the treasure yard. Once all three trucks get to operating temp even in hottest July I have no high temp issues. Good luck!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Me being in the PNW, I don't see 3 digit or even temps in the 90's that much. The truck is rarely driven except for when a truck is needed. I have my Tahoe and she has a TrailBlazer to daily drive. In all likelihood, I will stay with the stock set up and get the stock size radiator.