2000 K2500 8.1 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00CrewCab

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the weird or "different" modifications to trucks. I fully support an 8.1 swap into a gmt400.
I'm an even bigger fan of rides like "farm truck". Been watching them for years!
I've done quite a few engine swaps into these gmt400 trucks, however, it's been all diesel stuff. I kinda just "dive in". Get donor engine, yank truck's original engine, and fab whatever is necessay to stuff the donor engine into the truck.
OP- don't give up on your 8.1 swap vision. You may not come out dollars ahead of just rebuilding a 454, but you'll have something unique that YOU did. You can't buy that feeling. You can't buy that smile. You build it!
Do the swap and enjoy! Chase that "farm truck" dream!
I’ve done that style of swap before, and it worked great, I did a 2.3 ford engine with a junk yard turbo (I think off a 6.blow?) and did all the custom fab work and put it into a wrecked Miata chassis just for a cheap burnout car. But I plan to keep this truck for, well pretty much forever. Clean crew cabs are getting harder to find (near me anyways) and I know in the next few years there will be even less. I plan on a load of custom work, interior, axles, body mods, etc. but I want a “fresh” platform just as close as off the show room floor as I can get it. Hence why I’m trying to source and use as many oem parts as possible. Once the swap is done, and everything works as it should, I’ll drive it until I can get the rest of my parts saved up for everything else. Wood grain interior trim, solid axle front end, 3500 van rear axle, new bed and fenders, etc etc, then I’ll tear it all the way down to the bare frame, then rebuild it from there. And even with some bolt on kits for things like the front axle swap, I won’t be using, that’s when the fab work will begin. The end goal is for the “average joe” to look at it and think it’s “some truck from the 90’s”, but a second look by a enthusiast, they’ll see all the modifications, and all the true work done. So basically a sleeper, but in EVERY aspect of the truck. I want someone to be not only amazed, but confused when they look into it. The truck would have to be lit on fire, pushed down a hill, and crushed into a little cube before I gave up on rebuilding it, honestly my secondary goal is to have the highest mileage “OBS” or GMT400 truck in the world.

takingadip

Reaction score
Welcome to the GMT400 forum!

Your project sounds fantastic, doable, and affordable. (Swaps like this can involve so
many detail 'showstopper' bits, and having a complete donor vehicle really helps to
minimize the number of treasure yard hunts, internet searches, etc.)

Consider starting a build thread, take lots of photos, and start posting. As an owner
of a '99 C2500, I for one am seriously interested in seeing a 8.1 swap/upgrade into a GMT400.

Always nice to have another GMT400 enthusiast join the forum.

Cheers --

Thanks - was researching the topic and saw this post pop up. Funny how it was spot on exactly what I was looking for. I am planning on documenting the process photo/video so hopefully a few can benefit from it

takingadip

Reaction score
You wanna sell it? lol Just kidding, but I found a 01 C3500HD near me on FB marketplace, complete truck for $1500 (with a good engine/drivetrain too), problem is the language barrier, and the fact FB blurs out phone numbers and the guy refuses to respond on marketplace/messenger. Oh well though the hunt continues.

I paid 3800 for mine. Pretty high but it is still a good running/driving truck. Im going to feel bad pulling it apart but the weight class (15k gvwr) of the truck makes it tough to pull a trailer legally. Also between what I would end up paying for all the misc pieces, made sense to buy complete donor.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I paid 3800 for mine. Pretty high but it is still a good running/driving truck. Im going to feel bad pulling it apart but the weight class (15k gvwr) of the truck makes it tough to pull a trailer legally. Also between what I would end up paying for all the misc pieces, made sense to buy complete donor.
It's sad to hear of a relatively low-mile 8.1 HD being parted out, but I get it. I do love the HD's and have plenty of history with using them as wreckers. The leftover parts are valuable so don't trash anything; you'll have HD guys wanting the HD-specific items like the rear axle, radiator, core support, fan shroud, grille filler panel, fender flares (around 1995~1996 they went to a 1-piece which is HD-specific; my 1995 still had the 2-piece but they changed near that time), exterior door handles and the associated rods, mirror delete panels (the little triangle bolt-on pieces where the regular pickup mirrors go), etc.

Richard

00CrewCab

Reaction score
If I can’t find the pieces I need through eBay and oem sources then I’ll end up buying a donor truck. Honestly seems like the best option but wife says we don’t have room for another vehicle. Luckily pulling weight isn’t my main concern, but I do plan on pulling a decent amount with it, I’m swapping to 3500 springs and adding airbags to help.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm holding on to my 3500HD in the hopes that I come into posession of a nice C1500 some day, so I can build a "stock" C1500 with the 8.1, lol. Threads like this are awesome for motivation.

I drive my 3500HD, but it is so much overkill just hauling my trash bags to the dump on the weekends.

ETA: my 01 does have the 0411 ecm

00CrewCab

Reaction score
I'm holding on to my 3500HD in the hopes that I come into posession of a nice C1500 some day, so I can build a "stock" C1500 with the 8.1, lol. Threads like this are awesome for motivation.

I drive my 3500HD, but it is so much overkill just hauling my trash bags to the dump on the weekends.

ETA: my 01 does have the 0411 ecm
Once I get a 3500hd I’ll take pictures and upload all the information and differences I find between the two. I found one a few hours away, $2k and still had a hydraulic flatbed on it. Hoping to make this thread the all-in-one swap info for the 8.1, I love all the info that’s already on here, but it’d be much better if it was in one place and not spread across 50+ links. I’m debating on finding a website or social media specific for my truck, where I can upload documents and full information for each component I plan on swapping into the truck.

Also good to know that the 01-02 are 0411 PCM’s, means I can get a factory tune. Even the parts department and owner are having issues finding information on these trucks, and I work at a GM dealer. Getting ahold of the corporate information line next week, hoping they can send me links to find all the info and part numbers I need.

LSstepside96

Reaction score
I just purchased 2 2002 3500hd OBS with the 8.1 to do a swap into my 98 2500 extended cab. Will start the swap in the spring time will post on how it go's or maybe a couple videos for youtube. both run fine the second one is just to have for parts if needed. I'm doing the dash swap to just because I found out that GM switches wires around on one year apart trucks. the hydro-boost is designed for disk brakes in the rear so I will be swapping that out to since I have a rear axle from a 2004 chevy duramax with disc brakes going into it to.

00CrewCab

Reaction score
I just purchased 2 2002 3500hd OBS with the 8.1 to do a swap into my 98 2500 extended cab. Will start the swap in the spring time will post on how it go's or maybe a couple videos for youtube. both run fine the second one is just to have for parts if needed. I'm doing the dash swap to just because I found out that GM switches wires around on one year apart trucks. the hydro-boost is designed for disk brakes in the rear so I will be swapping that out to since I have a rear axle from a 2004 chevy duramax with disc brakes going into it to.
I’m still in the researching faze myself, until the fiancé says I have room for another truck. I’d be very interested in learning about the differences in wiring, is that caused by the hydro-boost setup? As far as I can tell, through photos, the dashes look identical. Eventually this truck will be getting a frame off restoration/resto-mod. Huge plans with it, I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about such a cool swap.