2000 k2500 7.4 rough idle + p0174 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i bought a 2000 ccsb 7.4L k2500 a few months back. 238k miles, sat still for a year with a start here and there. it was in really good condition both inside and out and a good price so i couldn’t resist. the gentleman i bought it from said he had some issues with it not running right, so he replaced the whole distributor unit and it ended up being something small just beneath it (can’t quite remember what) and when i test drove it, it was a little shaky but i chalked that up to a combination of the 7.4 being a big motor and the also that he said it needed new ball joints and also a new passenger wheel bearing (also could that cause an anti lock brake warning light?)

i got it home and noticed that it was shaking worse in gear and smelled like it was running rich. no codes though until a couple days ago, it popped up a p0174 after driving it about 7.5 miles/ 20 minutes. it made the drive back home with no issues other than the aforementioned shaking on acceleration. cut it off to do some researching then when we tried to start it back up, it sounded like it was having trouble firing back up. sat about 3 minutes then started back fine .

it’s sat since then (the 22nd) and when i went to crank it earlier (27th) it fired right up and idled fine (still rough but no surging)

i’m thinking a vacuum leak caused by a rotted or otherwise damaged gasket, but spraying around the intake areas with carb and choke cleaner yielded no results. i don’t think it’s a fuel delivery issue because i would think that would also cause a p0171 code. i’m thinking maybe EGR valve because the symptoms sound right (as would 100 other problems) but also because i read a post on here about someone having similar issues (iirc) and EGR fixed it both times. will try to find and link it

Last edited:

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for injectors and fpr. Mine was real bad about not firing back up and never gave any codes at all.