Radiator End Tank Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have 2 radiators with the same crack and the one in my 1500 has plier bite marks, so he probably did it with channelocks. @Orpedcrow how did you pull those part numbers? I searched by year/make/model on that site a couple different ways and got nowhere. And yes, this is the 34x19 tall double thick big boy radiator.
I just did a search for “radiator e…” the search engine suggested “radiator end tank replacement” and those items were listed in the first link I selected.

I think our phones are listening to us…
:suspicious:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely spying on us. I went to staples today to get stuff for work, my personal phone, that stayed in the van and didn't get used to look up availability, has been showing ads for staples since then....
It’s hella creepy…
Might need to get a flip phone :Big Laugh:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think our phones are listening to us…

They definitely are. I first noticed this a couple years ago. Discuss something with a friend while your phone is in your pocket, pull your phone out an hour later and that thing you discussed is all over your web advertisements/YouTube front page/whatever.

It is creepy, and I don't like it.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They definitely are. I first noticed this a couple years ago. Discuss something with a friend while your phone is in your pocket, pull your phone out an hour later and that thing you discussed is all over your web advertisements/YouTube front page/whatever.

It is creepy, and I don't like it.
Never noticed that. That is hella creepy. I use my phone as a phone and gps, and that's about it. Don't do a bunch of texting or file sharing outside of a few pictures, and definitely not any banking. It's not linked to any social media, email accounts, tele-visits with doctors etc., etc. Not that I'm paranoid, just not on the AI bandwagon thinking it's wonderful and put my entire life on a wireless device.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I guess this goes here? Right before we left for MI, the dually decided to crack the end tank. Lovely. I had 2 suitable spares at my hangar, so I cleaned and installed the crustier of the 2 and it worked great until we were headed back. Same crack in the exact same place.

You must be registered for see images attach

Made it another 1000 miles back without any trouble. I didn't even need to add water. I figured it would have leaked more, but it was intermittent at worst. I see these videos of folks plastic welding their tanks, but it's my belief that these tanks are old and brittle and I'd just as soon replace them. Rockauto didn't turn anything up, anyone here know where to look? Back around 2013 I had the same tank replaced by a local shop on my 1500 and that radiator lives to this day so I'm pretty well sold on it as a concept. I just can't seem to find the parts. My Google fu must be slipping.
That damage recalls some vague memory of a discussion years ago, it seems the weight and movement of the upper radiator hose contributes to that crack? I think I'm recalling that correctly. There may be a support bracket, or tie-strap, or something missing that is supposed to help alleviate the stress.

There's only 1 Magneto repair shop that I know of still in the US and he happens to be about an hour drive from me (Rebuiltmags.com) and he is trying to sell his business because of his age. Its sad to see quality specialized repair shops disappear. I'm sure there are plenty of members that remember their local alternator repair shop in town.
For many years, AAA Generator on Washington Ave. was the place to go in Houston if you needed any type of starter, alternator, or yes.. generator work. They'd been there that long. The owner, Steve, was a real car guy/old school hot rodder and just an interesting character. The shop is long gone, I believe Steve passed away many years ago now. I began working with a different shop but they only seem to rebuild the heavy duty stuff, any light duty parts they just suggest you buy new - which generally means Chinesium. My guess is they can't get quality parts for them, like Orpedcrow mentioned.

Definitely spying on us. I went to staples today to get stuff for work, my personal phone, that stayed in the van and didn't get used to look up availability, has been showing ads for staples since then....
It's the core of their business model and I hate it. It's why I stuck with Blackberry for years even though it was obvious they were a dying company. Even in 2013 they were making some truly great hardware and had a rock solid OS (that did NOT spy on you or market your info) with lots of features that were later seen copied/mimicked in android and ios. They'd already lost the smartphone wars though, and were eventually reduced to licensing their name out to TCL for a subpar android phone with some BB enhancements to the OS. Oh well..

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That damage recalls some vague memory of a discussion years ago, it seems the weight and movement of the upper radiator hose contributes to that crack? I think I'm recalling that correctly. There may be a support bracket, or tie-strap, or something missing that is supposed to help alleviate the stress.

For many years, AAA Generator on Washington Ave. was the place to go in Houston if you needed any type of starter, alternator, or yes.. generator work. They'd been there that long. The owner, Steve, was a real car guy/old school hot rodder and just an interesting character. The shop is long gone, I believe Steve passed away many years ago now. I began working with a different shop but they only seem to rebuild the heavy duty stuff, any light duty parts they just suggest you buy new - which generally means Chinesium. My guess is they can't get quality parts for them, like Orpedcrow mentioned.

It's the core of their business model and I hate it. It's why I stuck with Blackberry for years even though it was obvious they were a dying company. Even in 2013 they were making some truly great hardware and had a rock solid OS (that did NOT spy on you or market your info) with lots of features that were later seen copied/mimicked in android and ios. They'd already lost the smartphone wars though, and were eventually reduced to licensing their name out to TCL for a subpar android phone with some BB enhancements to the OS. Oh well..

Richard
The L bracket the upper hose sits on, that comes off the AC compressor?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The L bracket the upper hose sits on, that comes off the AC compressor?
Gonna vary depending on year and engine. On the TBI small block trucks the hose goes across the upper part of the shroud and rests against it, and IIRC there's a tie strap that holds it in place.

A quick glance at my TBI big block pics shows the hose just kinda hanging there.. like it wants a bracket. :(

All my clear engine bay pics of Vortec setups are tough to use as a reference because they have aftermarket stuff - bracketry to add the hydraulic pump for a wrecker unit, and the upper hose hacked to extend it to reach around all that. I do seem to recall there's a bracket hangs off the A/C mount though like you mentioned.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All my trucks have that upper hose support bracket. Maybe it's time to investigate the motor mounts. I found that discussion from eons ago, it was started by @454cid but he caved and installed a new radiator. I have one more radiator in my possession and it's much newer, then I just have 2 broken radiators to swap into my 1500. Trying to be a cheap ass here, I already lit all my money on fire and then some with my racing addiction this summer.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Gonna vary depending on year and engine. On the TBI small block trucks the hose goes across the upper part of the shroud and rests against it, and IIRC there's a tie strap that holds it in place.

A quick glance at my TBI big block pics shows the hose just kinda hanging there.. like it wants a bracket. :(

All my clear engine bay pics of Vortec setups are tough to use as a reference because they have aftermarket stuff - bracketry to add the hydraulic pump for a wrecker unit, and the upper hose hacked to extend it to reach around all that. I do seem to recall there's a bracket hangs off the A/C mount though like you mentioned.

Richard
Here's a picture of what my crew cab 5.7 has. Burb is the same.
The bracket is a tab/hook off the side compressor bracket, goes under the upper hose.

Attachments

• IMG_20230823_094014677_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230823_094014677_HDR.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 12