97 OBS 5.7 Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
Hello all, First C1500 97 Silverado OBS 5.7 Vortec, and I've been basically rebuilding the thing since I got it in 10/23. Short story long, got from a guy said it was factory maintained and come to find out everything he said was a lie. When to do general maintenance when you buy a used vehicle (has 145k miles) oil, plugs, spark plug wires, new belt, then idler arm, then wheel sensors, then the sensor on the trans (then truck would read 40 over when driving) Then took out cluster and oiled up all the motors slowly and things were looking good.
Till I started to have an antifreeze leak. Started with a Water pump along with upper and lower hoses and thermostat, as that is where it looked as if it was dripping from, Then it just started gushing out while driving it, it was the infamous Intake gasket. Took it to a shop because it's been freezing here when this was done. They fixed, and it started leaking again a day later. Now, from the RADIATOR.

So, for the POST. I'm looking for a RADIATOR, but I can't for the love of all find one for the truck. Looked on Rock auto no luck, on Amazon no luck. It's a 34" Core 17 or 18 x 1 without the engine coolant lines, but it does seem to have the trans lines on the left near the fill cap.
Everything I look for this truck is showing with both Engine and Trans lines, and I can't find a number on this radiator for replacement. I don't see it in the owner's manual or the Haynes manual for it.

So Can ANYONE please help me with this issue as I have spent weeks looking through the web, the truck is basically used as needed, haven't had a chance to pull anything as it's been a constant project, and I'm getting a bit discouraged with it. Seems to be sucking my soul, and wallet right out of me.

Thank you

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, for the POST. I'm looking for a RADIATOR, but I can't for the love of all find one for the truck. Looked on Rock auto no luck, on Amazon no luck. It's a 34" Core 17 or 18 x 1 without the engine coolant lines, but it does seem to have the trans lines on the left near the fill cap.

RockAuto has the Spectra Premium CU2317 which appears to be what you're looking for. Not sure why you didn't see it, comes right up for me when I select a '97 C1500 5.7L.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=365701&cc=1031555&pt=2172

I don't see it in the owner's manual or the Haynes manual for it.

If you haven't already, grab the PDFs of the '97 GM factory service manuals from here. Way better than anything from Chilton or Haynes. The '97 manuals are on page 10, post number 92.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-service-manuals.43575/page-10

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also has the dual core Spectra CU624 that drops right in.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It also has the dual core Spectra CU624 that drops right in.

Looks like that one has the oil cooler lines that he doesn't need though, although he could just cap them off I suppose.

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
Which is better, though? That is correct, i do not need the oil lines.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t need them either, yup, just leave them capped. Nice to have a dual core cooling.

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
Is this the screw in lines or the quick disconnect?
Been seeing a lot of the quick disconnect around

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
Looks like that one has the oil cooler lines that he doesn't need though, although he could just cap them off I suppose.
Won't the thickness of the core be an issue? I'm seeing it as 2-3/16