Best radiator for the $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it installed, still trying to fill it. I did'nt drain it hot, probably should have.I flushed it with a hose and rag stuck in intake after removing the stat.I used a cheap plastic kiddie pool and no debris came out.The coolant that came out was clean and the flush too.Previous owner switched out the dexcool w the water pump, it looks like the temp switch replaced too, red thread sealer on it.I've driven it a few minutes a few times and it's about full.It pushed coolant into the reservoir and sucked up some coolant while I burped it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine was $185 if it lasts 10 yrs I'll be satisfied.
You must be registered for see images attach

It came w 4 adapters for the trans. and oil coolers.I did not need the adapters but I used the O rings on the oil cooler adapters on the oem lines. No leaks anywhere after 30 mins. of driving.

Last edited:

div4scpro

Reaction score
I replaced mine a year ago in my 99' 2 door Tahoe with one from Napa. The only issue I've had with it was that most replacement radiators have and extra outlet below the radiator cap that I believe is for a Suburban or Tahoe with rear heat/air. If you don't need this, they put a cheap rubber plug and hose clamp on it....well the plug disintegrated and shot hot coolant all over the engine. Luckily i had just pulled into the garage and killed it. I replaced the plug and so far, no issues. If I had it to do over again I'd buy an AC Delco radiator that is absolutely correct in every way.
If money is no object, get a Be Cool aluminum radiator. I've had a couple in older Corvette"s I've had and they were fantastic!! They are pretty pricey though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
It sounds like the same post that is unused on my 97 K1500 w/5.7. I used to replace it every year as soon as I saw the rubber cap start to bulge and crack, always worried about it. If that's the case I ordered Autobahn88 silicone blanking cap in the 15.5mm (0.61") size. on Amazon three years ago. It was a perfect fit and there is no bulging or cracking. I ordered the set of caps because I wasn't patient enough to look for an individual cap. They also list plenty of other sizes if you think you need a different size but i think you will be happy with this item.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone have firsthand experience with the OSC radiators? I saw them on Rock Auto, it looks like they installed a threaded fitting that take a drain plug where most budget units have the rubber caps, which sounds like a great improvement over a most of inexpensive units.
The previous owner had added radiator stop leak to the rad on my yukon. Not sure if it's the rad that was leaking, cause it hasn't lost a drop in the months I've owned it, but I figure replacing the rad, hoses, and heater core isn't crazy expensive so I may as well do it all and switch from dex-cool to green at the same time.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a whole bunch of wasted time, money, effort, and enthusiasm.

If the rad isn't leaking, and the truck doesn't overheat...what do you gain by replacing it?

How old are the hoses? They seem pretty long-lived now. I don't replace them until at least ten years and often longer than that. But if they're bulging or showing signs of deterioration, yeah, shitcan them all including heater hoses.

Check the coolant; flush and fill if needed. "I" would not go backwards to ordinary "green" coolant, but some folks are superstitious.