air pump/smog pump delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should be able to look up the part number by application. My 88 has that sticker too, which clearly shows some models came without the AIR pump.

I think the trucks without the air pump had an idler pulley there. I didn't see the point of buying an idler pulley when I could just remove the pump and get a shorter belt. That's why I went the route I did

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the trucks without the air pump had an idler pulley there. I didn't see the point of buying an idler pulley when I could just remove the pump and get a shorter belt. That's why I went the route I did
No, all you have to do is go on RockAuto.com and look up serpentine belt w/o A.I.R. and with A/C (if you have that) The diagram posted earlier is correct and as @Steven Petersen my 88 has the same sticker too. The A.I.R. pump was a CA spec in which some other states adopted. A.I.R was not required by Federal standards.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, all you have to do is go on RockAuto.com and look up serpentine belt w/o A.I.R. and with A/C (if you have that) The diagram posted earlier is correct and as @Steven Petersen my 88 has the same sticker too. The A.I.R. pump was a CA spec in which some other states adopted. A.I.R was not required by Federal standards.

My current 88 was purchased new in Idaho and came with the AIR pump and also high altitude emissions, which is just a solenoid on the evap canister I believe. Pretty hard to believe Idaho would have required it, especially back then.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to believe Idaho would have required it, especially back then.
We looked at a new 93 F250 diesel 4X4 near Klamath Falls, Oregon where they lowered the HP rating from 155 to 145 (or something like that) due to high altitude. We wound up getting it in CA and shipped it to OR to get away with the higher HP engine so, I would think the altitude may have something to do with it.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think maybe only the regular 3/4 ton (8 lug) and 1 ton 350s came without the AIR pump. I know the emissions were different on those. Also they had less HP but more torque than the 1/2 ton and light duty 3/4 350s.

William Davis

Reaction score
What about the 1ton 454's I have an 89. About to put headers on and delete the a.i r. Going true cross over duely with empty kitties and cherry bombers

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about the 1ton 454's I have an 89. About to put headers on and delete the a.i r. Going true cross over duely with empty kitties and cherry bombers

Since you're adding headers it will be easier for you because you won't have to plug the holes in the manifolds. Just remove the air pipes and the pipe going around the back, remove the smog pump, get a shorter belt, put your headers on, done.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just gonna leave this link here for a 1/2" -20 plug for anyone wondering what it takes to block the factory manifold smog pump ports.

Reading the posts in this thread it sounds like you can eliminate the AIR system when you replace your cat or put on headers or your pump dies.

The way this system works, there is a diverter valve between the pump and the manifolds. It sends oxygen to the exhaust manifold to help the catalytic converters start burning the excess fuel in the exhaust gas. Once the catalytic converter is heated up, it doesn't need the extra O2. So the diverter valve sends the air to the air cleaner. Maybe that increases the airflow and boosts performance or efficiency like a ram air system would, but I sort of doubt it.

AIR systems were only put in these trucks for a few years.

Anyhow, the newer honeycomb catalytic converters work better than the pellet ones the trucks with AIR came with. So, when you change your cat the AIR pump isn't needed. On the other hand, it probably isn't hurting anything either.

The only unanswered question I have is whether the diverter valve sends info to the ECM that will impact performance if it is removed. I sort of doubt that too, but it could be. I think when the signal from the 02 sensor is hot it tells the diverter to switch the flow from the exhaust to the intake.

Last edited: