Smog Pump Deleted, How to get rid of MIL Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpclarke954

Reaction score
I have deleted my smog pump due to it going bad and not being able to buy a replacement. I not am stuck with the Check Engine light on. Is there anyway to trick the ECM into thinking the pump is present?? How do i get rid of this check engine light being on all the time???

1997 K3500 4x4 7.4L

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain there should be a way to disable the AIR pump codes in the PCM tune with appropriate tuning software (JET Dynamic Spectrum Tuner for a '97) but I'm also fairly certain that any competent/larger tuning business will be reluctant to do so with all the new EPA regulations. You could check with a mail order tuner like Black Bear Performance and see if they'll do it, but I kind of doubt they will any more. This may be something that will require you to buy JET DST and figure out yourself. Which shouldn't be terribly difficult worst case, we have several members here who have experience with JET DST. I have it myself but neither of my '97s are equipped with an AIR pump so I'm really not sure what to look for in the tunes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@df2x4 do you know if that Jet DST works with the 411 swap?

It should... The part number I have (14005) supports vehicles from 1996 to 2007.

https://jetchip.com/shop/chips-modu...formance-dynamic-spectrum-tuner-programmer-2/

I've used it to alter things in both of my '97s and my dad's '06 3500. They have another part number as well (14007) that can do 2008+.

If an 0411 is the main thing you're trying to work with though you might consider going with HPTuners or EFILive. I got JET DST simply because it's the only software I'm aware of that's compatible with the '96-'97 black box PCMs in these trucks. JET DST is pretty archaic software that requires installing/running in compatibility mode because it was designed in the Windows '98/2000 era. It works, though.