A/c and smog delete v6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlonsoV

Reaction score
I have a 1992 4.3 and I'm looking to put a smaller belt that doesn't use a/c or the smog pump, compressor doesn't work and I'm planning on replacing a while down the road and I've heard a lot about smog pump just not being worth keeping and I'm wanting to get my engine as efficient as possible right now before I do serious work on it. Any help with alternatives or part numbers? It would be the same as if it was done to 5.7 of the same year

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you plan on replacing your A/C compressor at a later date, the easier route is to use an A/C bypass pulley; they're reasonably cheap and let you retain the same length belt as the pulley is the same size. However, unless the *clutch bearing* on your A/C compressor has seized (which is kinda rare) you can just leave the compressor in place. It's not hurting anything. With the A/C off it's just freewheeling on the clutch bearing, not taking any noticeable amount of power at all.

Smog pump is another story, but yes, the accessory drive setup is pretty much the same as a small block. Either way just look at TBI engines with a similar setup as your '92 but minus the smog pump. Probably hundreds of thousands were made without it, so you can simply get the belt for one without the smog pump.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Agreed. It's nuts to buy a compressor bypass pulley if the compressor bearing is still usable. Pull the electrical connector off the clutch, and you're done.

The shorter non-AIR pump belt is a parts-store away. You'll want to assure that the exhaust check-valves are still sealing properly, or you'll need to find some way to plug the exhaust manifolds (which could be merely installing fresh check-valves.) There's also a nipple on the air cleaner you'd want to plug.

DON'T expect an "efficiency" gains. Neither the AC clutch bearing, nor the AIR pump take any real power to spin.