A/C questions 1990 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RShrimp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a 1990 C1500 with a 5.7. It is a Florida Truck so no rust but an operational A.C system is a must have and likely always has been. The current system is in tact but no freon. It looks to be all original. The compressor still has the r-12 Harrison sticker on it and the accumulator also has the factory sticker on it. It looks completely unmolested except for having R134 adapters on the schraders.

Questions:
1. How can you change from R12 to R134 without changing the Accumulator and the Compressor? (Just for my knowledge)
2. What do I need to do to get it working again. Parts are cheap, but hoping to save the evaporator just because its a pain to change.

A little background on my skill set. I worked at GM dealerships in the 70's and 80's so I fully understand the R12 systems but know nothing about converting them to R134. Hell I even own the tools to rebuild the 4 and 6 cyl compressors but only in an R12 world.