Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.
This is R12. Same potential apply?Put an adjustable cycling switch on it. The R12 switches short cycle with R134a. R134a and R152a for that mattter need to get to a lower pressure before the compressor cycles to get the evaporator temps nearer freezing. I have seen the van briefly pull 27°F vent temps in 108-110°F before the compressor cycles at highway speeds. It usually resides around 31-33°F, once the interior has cooled off. I have gone an 1/8 turn too much before on the van and turned the evaporator core into a solid block of ice every 5-10 minutes requiring switching to vent to thaw it out and get the vents blowing again.
While I had my A/C box out, I simply glued some cut strips of rubber from my new floor mat to the edges of the door with 3M weatherstrip & emblem adhesive. I'm sure somebody knows how to get the box apart for a new door, but I'm too dumb or impatient to sort it. I haven't considered whether it's something you could even pretend to do with the box in place.Even going down the road, I rarely see better than 45-42 so far. Given that we're probably 40% humidity and as of this moment 110°, maybe 40's isn't so bad?
I've been watching what you post pretty carefully. You seem to know your stuff. I paid special attention to your recent comment to someone about their recirculation door and sealing condition. My door works, but it doesn't seal. There are gaps on both sides... Not huge but at least 3/16 of an inch. Given that this is the first time I've torn something like this apart this far, I'm not sure I'm qualified to really say, but it appears that's the way this was from the factory. It's hard for me to tell because I'm also missing about a two and a half inch long and half inch wide strip from one edge. I know that's going to have to get fixed if I want the temps to really come down.
I thought perhaps in the interim since I need to remove and clean my windshield washer jets, that I might block off the outside air intake while I have the cowl cover off...see how much difference that makes.
Prior to recently, I had the 28-in radiator and an electric fan off of a Z28. Well I had everything torn apart, I noticed the radiator was leaking, so I opted to replace it with the 34" big block radiator. I found an appropriate shroud, but I'm using a five blade fan as you mentioned.
What is your take on that blue Ford orifice?
Yepper...LOTS of things need attention on this lil gem. =PNot to sidetrack you sir but your brakes are asking for attention.
I tried. You can drill out 4 plastic weld points and it comes apart in halves, and then either reweld with amazon plastic weld rods, or just bolt it. Problem for me was that I couldn't find a good door. I'd have tried the floormat, but it didnt occur to me. I was considering using a window-tinting squeegee, but wasn't sure if the adhesive would hold it. "Shoe Goo" is pretty damned good for that kind of thing, too, btw.I haven't considered whether it's something you could even pretend to do with the box in place.
...you mean my lunacy. =PI salute the OP for his persistence. My 93 had a shadetree conversion to R 134 before I bought it. It lasted about a month beyond the purchase. After banging my head against the wall for a year I finally found a shop that replaced the whole mess. It worked fine in 103 degree weather and has worked for 2 years. I hope you win the battle. I threw money at mine and am happy!