93 5.7 cat delete o2 sensor light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ I mean he's right, and it's my bad for posting without thinking the subject through as I'm only half-awake. This night shift stuff.. anyway, you think I'd know better after 20+ years of it. Though sometimes I think he enjoys following me around waiting to see if I trip up so he can giggle. It's OK. :)

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just for the basics, first sensor upstream mixture data, second sensor , if equipped monitors cat health.
Just a side note: NTK/ NGK are high quality sensors, and have published a service bulletin describing early OBD1 having sensor problems , as newer current production sensors have very fast reaction time. This has caused some problems with OBD1 can't keep up and throws a code.
Apparently NTK has addressed this with sensors for OBD1 vehicles.
I'll repost the bulletin when I find it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, that's normal. Having a functional O2 sensor is part of the fuel system. " Active " ? If not your truck would run like crap.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 91 has an active O2 sensor and no cat. It runs great with no check engine light...
Point to the last several posts in this thread is an OBD I system doesn't have a post-cat O2 sensor to determine if the catalyst is doing its job; that's the one that will set the code if you don't have a cat, or your cat is bad.

The code you might get from a bad pre-cat O2 would be if the O2 itself was bad.

Richard

ol-Betsy

Reaction score
Lucky me no shops around have obd1 scanners that will give live readings of the sensor. I purchased an aldl cable to hook up to my laptop and monitor from there.

The point NTK sensor is definitely something I will look into. Could be an easy fix. I'll have to diagnose my current sensor first.

Would a post upstream sensor exhaust leak throw a code? I did find the slightest leak on top of the flange weld- a tough spot to squeeze a weld into with it on the truck. It's maybe a half inch in length where the flange is nearly tangent with the pipe. Very small. Nearly impossible to get a weld on without a flexible tip on a gun which I don't have. Note again, that before I even welded the flange, the exhaust was wide open after there, and I drove about 100mi with no codes thrown until after the exhaust was complete. Right after everything was installed.