air pump/smog pump delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
I want to delete the air/smog pump on my truck..what will it take,,can i just remove the air tubes and plug them?? what about the ecm?? will it set a code that wont go away?? what is the best solution?? replace manifolds with non air tube ones?
what about the pump itself?? any help is greatly appreciated,,,thanks in advance,,,cheers,,,

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Just take it off and plug the holes. Smog pumps/erg are worthless government crap that on our truck does nothing but harm the engine. I wish I took pics of my egr ports in the intake and my heads when I was doing the intake manifold gaskets, I was horrified by the amount of carbon it had created. 100% clogged up I had to hammer it all out with a screwdriver. SES lights were not on and I passed emissions with it clogged like that. Just proves that they do nothing beneficial what so ever, maybe on newer models, but ours are complete junk.

Last edited:

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the reply,,,what size pipe plug do i need to get,,i see one tube on each side...how hard is it to get off from behind the motor??

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I haven't dealt with the air pump style before, so I don't know. But maybe you could use something along the lines of an oxygen sensor plug? An exhaust shop can help you out with that. Or maybe you can find something that would work at ace hardware or whatever. I'll do some research on it and see what I can come up with. What year is your truck?

Re read my last post, stupid auto correct messed it up! Fixed now.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
So I guess you can just unbolt it from the block and I'm assuming the bracket it mounts on is built in so you need to cut that flush with the block to make it look clean. You will need to change your belt to a 1994 and if you have a/c make sure you get the belt that is long enough to run it. I hear you might have an extra idler pulley under the a/c which will cause the belt to fray, so you might want to remove that or keep an eye on it. As far as the exhaust goes I would just take it to an exhaust shop and get the tubes cut flush and the holes welded shut. Apparently the thread pitch for the plug is hard to find. Then I would get an erg block off plate as well and just be done with it for ever. You should see a performance increase and mpg increase from the engine not having to run the air pump. Lol all this emissions crap is sooooo pointless it amuses me.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you eliminate the EGR you will lose 1-2 mpg and it will throw a code. Ssmog pump won't be an issue.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys,,gonna try and tackle it this weekend,,,i may just hit the pick n pull and price some mqnifolds with no air tubes,,then ill gut the pump,,also gonna get some sort of decent muffler on it,,and a k & n air filter,,

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
If you eliminate the EGR you will lose 1-2 mpg and it will throw a code. Ssmog pump won't be an issue.

honestly with a tune you wont lose anything whatsoever. 88 might have the 1 piece brackets so ive never dealt with bypassing that i kept my smog pump on and left it open, as for the plugs either use a bolt or literally the correct pipe plug not sure what thread type it is. the tube going to the back of the intake is held on by one bolt i believe it comes right off. plug the egr, and a tune might benefit you but you shouldnt have any issues without it.