air pump/smog pump delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyhow, the newer honeycomb catalytic converters work better than the pellet ones the trucks with AIR came with. So, when you change your cat the AIR pump isn't needed.
It will be "needed" to pass the visual examination part of an emissions test. The folks conducting the test won't care what kind of catalyst the truck has--provided it has what is legally required.

The only unanswered question I have is whether the diverter valve sends info to the ECM that will impact performance if it is removed.
The diverter valve does not send info "to" the ECM. The diverter is controlled BY the ECM. So--assuming that all the parts work properly--the ECM does "know" whether the diverter is supposed to be blowing into the manifolds/headers, or blowing into the air cleaner.

When the AIR system is disabled, the computer will still try to control the diverter valve, but it has no feedback that the system is working or disabled.

If the AIR system is intact but the diverter valve is seized so that it blows into the manifold/headers all the time, you'd set a lean code due to the extra oxygen reacting with the O2 sensor.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the diverter and ECM.

I think the AIR system was a state regulation not a federal one. Some states, like California, inspect to ensure what the vehicle came with is there. Many do not. My state is one that doesn't but I'm going to keep everything intact in case I move or sell the truck. I don't think the AIR pump costs much HP. For me it is more of an issue in finding headers that have the AIR bungs.

Replacing it isn't hard its finding the part. The only company making them is Cardone. So, it doesn't matter if you buy it from Napa or O'Reilly's and if one is cheaper than the other, thats the place to get it. An issue i ran into was quality control. i put in 4 reman'd Cardone pumps in under a week before I found one that didn't squeal like a banshee. I guess they got a bad batch of bearings or something. Also, their part number includes two slightly different pumps. Both fit the bracket but one has a larger case than the other and they the belt doesn't line up quite the same.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just gonna leave this link here for a 1/2" -20 plug for anyone wondering what it takes to block the factory manifold smog pump ports.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/chevrolet/camaro/parts/EMP330.html?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq9m2g7_shAMVDhWtBh0J5Qk9EAQYASABEgJQgPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Reading the posts in this thread it sounds like you can eliminate the AIR system when you replace your cat or put on headers or your pump dies.
IDK where they got that, I used M22X1.5 plugs (maybe the 1.2" is close enough) in my Summit Racing G9015 shorty headers. They came with a CARB Executive Order too but, I see they're NLA - oh well.

Here, you can see the header with A.I.R. tube installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then plugged with the M22X1.5
You must be registered for see images attach