14 Bolt Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Hey guys i know there are tons of threads on this already but i couldn't find one that had everything i need to know. I also think it would be nice to have a sticky for the 10 bolt to 14 bolt swap, as it seems to be a pretty common occurrence. So if someone could make a list of all the parts that would be required to do it from start to finish id really appreciate it. Im going to have to do it soon as i don't want to replace the 10 bolt with another 10 bolt i want to upgrade.I know i need to find a 4x4 rear out of a 3/4 ton Gmt400. Preferably 6 bolt but if i can't find one ill go with 8. I know i need a conversion U Joint, but i don't know which one and then I'm not sure what to do with the u bolts or what size ill need. The last question (for now) is i see in this thread http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?10778-10-bolt-to-14-bolt&highlight=bolt The guy says installing a 14b will ruin your transfer case output seal if you don't have a suspension lift, this is the only time I've seen this in any thread so i am wondering if thats a common problem. Any help will be appreciated thanks in advance!:help:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
subbing just because- be sure to take lots of photos and records of what you do, thz71

I need to do this myself so I can jump up to 35's

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The guy says installing a 14b will ruin your transfer case output seal if you don't have a suspension lift, this is the only time I've seen this in any thread so i am wondering if thats a common problem. Any help will be appreciated thanks in advance!:help:

So in theory every stock truck that came from the factory with a 14 bolt, SF or FF, had a ruined t-case output seal?

This reminds me of this famous revelutionary war George Washington quote...
"don't believe everything you read on the internet"

The swap is very easy. if you are getting a 14 bolt from another gmt400, it is a bolt in application. you will need new u-bolts and spring plates, both are easy to find on LMC.com you will most likely need to shorten your rear drive shaft depending on the axle you are swapping in (SF vs FF) at the same time, have the machinist put the correct yoke on the driveshaft for the 14 bolt (1350 I think)
I believe you will also need new E-brake cables for the FF swap, again, LMC or Napa part. Everything else is bolt in.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
he just wants to go 6 lug swap all he needs is new ubolts if he cant reuse his the u bolt blates and a conversion u joint for the sf swap he can use his ebrake cables and everything else for the sf swap

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya e-brake cables should swap from a 10-14sf, the spring plates are I believe different, they are listed as two different part numbers.
He still might need to shorten his drive shaft, depends on how beat his springs are. The pinion on the 14 bolt is longer, pushing the t-case slip shaft further into the output which can destroy the seal and cause the t-case to drain. (which is what I think he was initially trying to say and I quoted above)

Ideally he should be taking measurments of how much slip shaft is exposed at ride height and the distance from u-joint center to u-joint center.

If he only has .75" of slip shaft showing and the new center to center measurement is 1" longer, there is going to be an issue.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the reposes and help i appreciate it!, what should i search on ebay to find the u- bolt plates?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
just get them when you get your rearend

we don't have any pick and pulls around here so I'm going to have to go to the junk yard and tell them what i want or get luck and find a 14b on craigslist