10 bolt to 14 bolt swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Hey all,
My truck is a 93 Chevy k1500, short box, regular cab. I’m putting a 14 bolt rear into it. Will the ebrake cables work in the 14 bolt rear? It has in it right now a 10 bolt.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No, I had to get different cables when I swapped mine. But you don't need them front to back, just starting at the adjuster dealie in front of the driver's side leaf spring.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
What’s different that the cables won’t fit?

FrankieD61

Reaction score
So I have to find some cables that’ll fit.. for a short box regular cab. I don’t have any good junk yards here. That’s the issue. I’ll just have to go on eBay or rockauto or something but rockautos descriptions suck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been years since I swapped rear axles on my K1500.

I don't remember replacing the park brake cables. I did later, using whatever was recommended for my truck.

I'm thinking the park brake cables for the 8.5" axle/254mm brakes will work just fine on the 9.5" axle/11.x brakes.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's been years since I swapped rear axles on my K1500.

I don't remember replacing the park brake cables. I did later, using whatever was recommended for my truck.

I'm thinking the park brake cables for the 8.5" axle/254mm brakes will work just fine on the 9.5" axle/11.x brakes.

They didn't for me. My stuff was good and rot free too. You sure you didn't take the opportunity to replace what was surely seized hardware when you did your swap and forget about it? It was so long ago for me all I really remember is buying the parts store stuff, being disappointed, and replacing it with rot free junkyard stuff because CO.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not absolutely certain. I did replace the cables at some point--and I need to do it again.

I am merely "pretty sure" my existing cables from the 254mm disasters connected to the 11.x brakes of the bigger axle.