which replacement radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I just had an episode when my engine lost coolant on the highway and I had the Tahoe towed to my mechanic. Diagnose: leak(s) in the radiator. So it's time to get a new radiator.

NOTE: I'm in Slovenia, so I can't just go to an auto parts store and pick up a new radiator for a GMT400; it has to be ordered from USA (or maybe Germany). In other words, I have to get the order right the first time.

I'm looking at Rockauto.com where I usually order parts from, and I see quite a few options.

1. First question: should I look at "Standard Replacement" radiator or would one from the "Economy" section be OK?

2. Should I order any other new parts (my mechanic said there is no need, only the radiator is busted, but I still like to ask)

3. I don't think I currently have an oil cooler (there is no KC4 code on RPO codes list in the glove box).

However, in the "Towing" section of the owner's manual it says "Above the 2,000 lbs. (908 kg) trailer rating, the engine oil cooler is required on C/K-1500 and C/K-2500 models"

Now, in the future I'll probably be occasionally using the Tahoe to tow a boat (a 19-ft Bayliner) and I'm sure the weight will be well above 2000lbs - should I be looking at a replacement radiator with an oil cooler?; and will there be any difficulties fitting it? (I won't be doing this job myself and my mechanic is excellent, but does not have much experience wrenching on American trucks)

I'll apreciate any advice on which radiator to get.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm looking at Rockauto.com where I usually order parts from, and I see quite a few options.

It's been a few years, but I' tried getting a radiator from them twice, both times it was damaged. It's the only time I've had an issue with them. I finally ordered a radiator on Amazon, and it arrived in good condition.

2. Should I order any other new parts (my mechanic said there is no need, only the radiator is busted, but I still like to ask)

It would be a good time to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses if it hasn't been done already. Also the thermostat. It would be a good idea to flush the engine of all old coolant, too.

3. I don't think I currently have an oil cooler (there is no KC4 code on RPO codes list in the glove box).

If you have an oil cooler in your radiator, you will have oil lines on the both radiator tanks..... one side will be for the transmission (passenger side in US), and the other side will be engine oil (driver's side in the US). Which side of the road do you drive on?

However, in the "Towing" section of the owner's manual it says "Above the 2,000 lbs. (908 kg) trailer rating, the engine oil cooler is required on C/K-1500 and C/K-2500 models"

Now, in the future I'll probably be occasionally using the Tahoe to tow a boat (a 19-ft Bayliner) and I'm sure the weight will be well above 2000lbs - should I be looking at a replacement radiator with an oil cooler?; and will there be any difficulties fitting it? (I won't be doing this job myself and my mechanic is excellent, but does not have much experience wrenching on American trucks)

You would need an oil filter adapter with the ports for the oil cooler lines, if you don't already have it. You would also need the lines. However, the lines are garbage. They leak. The OEM lines will last awhile, but the common Dorman replacements will only last a year or two. A lot of people bypass them.... I did. I don't tow much, However.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. This oil cooler stuff sounds like a lot of work, I wonder if it's really necessary for the amount of towing I have in mind...

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is not that much work to add 4 cooling lines, I would do it if you are going to tow.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. This oil cooler stuff sounds like a lot of work, I wonder if it's really necessary for the amount of towing I have in mind...

I wouldn't

It is not that much work to add 4 cooling lines, I would do it if you are going to tow.

The oil cooler is two lines..... that have a habit of leaking and making a giant mess. These engines were made for years without oil coolers.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like I said, I found out I have an oil cooler version from factory so that's not an issue.

I'm only worried about the experience you described about damaged radiators you received from Rockauto... I tried Amazon.com but they won't ship this item to my country. I could get the same radiator (Spectra Premium CU1693) from Ebay, price+shipping comes to almost the same as from Rockauto, now to decide...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How did you get a Tahoe in Slovenia? Did you import it yourself, or did GM sell them there new?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to order a radiator from RockAuto personally. You can get damaged items from anywhere. IMO that's really more of a courier issue than a vendor issue. Every courier (USPS, UPS, FedEx etc) has areas of the country that employ some gorillas who are more destructive than average when it comes to throwing boxes onto trucks.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't

The oil cooler is two lines..... that have a habit of leaking and making a giant mess. These engines were made for years without oil coolers.
Yes I know, I had a 84 c10 prior to owning gmt400s plus a couple Novas and 2nd gen Camaros, but I would rather have it for towing especially in a mountain country like Slovenia.