which replacement radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There’s a thread you should look at. A lot of these radiators have a spare port that you’ll need to find a good cap for to avoid a potential leak.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/replacement-radiator.42475/

In the link above, Df2x4 mentioned a silicone cap that he has used successfully, so that would be an option if your radiator has the spare port.

Otherwise (particularly if parts are difficult to get) I would consider the ACDelco one and it would be one less thing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you search eBay for 5/8" silicone caps you can find a whole bunch of them. They come in all different colors. McMaster-Carr sells them too, but only in red.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#silicone-caps/=1e8tkwi

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was referring to the section of the page where they mention how orders are grouped when they ship out, not the section that says they don't allow pickup. I made multiple orders from them during my 4L80E swap for several hundred dollars worth of stuff, all different manufacturers. It all shipped from the same place in one box. I have a hard time believing they don't keep an inventory, I'll Google the address next time though.

EDIT - Also, it seems to me that if everything shipped straight from the manufacturers you wouldn't get all the cool RockAuto magnets in the boxes! :lol:

Wholesaler, not manufacturer (in most cases). The only order that I've had recently, to come from a manufacturer, was when I ordered my Lares rag joint.... it came directly from Lares, with a magnet, sealed with Rockauto tape. Other orders come from a Wholesaler. If you order their deep discount/close-out items it'll probably come from TX. That's the wholesaler that specializes in surplus inventory.

Any company shipping for Rockauto must be getting cases of magnets and tape.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, I will remember that when/if I ever re-route my heater core to the pump.... I've never really liked it going to the radiator.

You're welcome! I had the radiator in my Suburban replaced a few years back and ended up with one that had the extra port. The standard Dorman rubber caps just don't hold up very well so I Googled around a little and found those.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nylon and silicone caps hold up better than the rubber garbage that the parts stores sling.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for your input.
I ordered the radiator from Rockauto, along with new hoses and a new thermostat.
Keeping my fingers crossed it arrives in OK shape..