which replacement radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to order a radiator from RockAuto personally. You can get damaged items from anywhere. IMO that's really more of a courier issue than a vendor issue. Every courier (USPS, UPS, FedEx etc) has areas of the country that employ some gorillas who are more destructive than average when it comes to throwing boxes onto trucks.

I don't think it was the courier. The two damaged radiators I got through Rockauto were delivered by Fedex. The radiator purchased through Amazon was also delivered by Fedex. It's possible that it was Fedex's fault, but I'm more inclined to blame the thing that changed, not the thing that didn't change. If Rockauto suddenly had a Delphi 1215 in stock (it's discontinued) I'd try them again, Though.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use Spectra fuel pumps in all of my vehicles and am pleased with them. I wouldn't hesitate to put a Spectra radiator in my truck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it was the courier. The two damaged radiators I got through Rockauto were delivered by Fedex. The radiator purchased through Amazon was also delivered by Fedex. It's possible that it was Fedex's fault, but I'm more inclined to blame the thing that changed, not the thing that didn't change. If Rockauto suddenly had a Delphi 1215 in stock (it's discontinued) I'd try them again, Though.

I understand why you feel that way, but keep in mind that the Amazon packages likely didn't ship from the same part of the country as the RockAuto ones did. Courier practices can vary widely from one facility to another. I doubt RockAuto's shipping department would knowingly let damaged radiators leave their warehouse.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I understand why you feel that way, but keep in mind that the Amazon packages likely didn't ship from the same part of the country as the RockAuto ones did. Courier practices can vary widely from one facility to another. I doubt RockAuto's shipping department would knowingly let damaged radiators leave their warehouse.

Rockauto doesn't actually have their own warehouses. They just run a website. They have contracts with various wholesalers around the country. I'm not saying you're wrong... I do think your scenario is certainly possible. Still, I'm leery of ordering a radiator from Rockauto. I do order almost everything else from them, However.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only time I get damaged parts or they get lost is from FedEx. Never any problems from UPS or USPS.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rockauto doesn't actually have their own warehouses. They just run a website. They have contracts with various wholesalers around the country. I'm not saying you're wrong... I do think your scenario is certainly possible. Still, I'm leery of ordering a radiator from Rockauto. I do order almost everything else from them, However.

Not to keep dragging this up but RockAuto actually does keep inventory and run multiple shipping warehouses. Some items ship directly from the manufacturers but many are kept in stock.

https://www.rockauto.com/help/?page=3#SHIPLOCABC

With that said, I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. I always do some Google searching for the part number I'm looking for and go with the best deal. Which coincidentally is usually Amazon.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Not to keep dragging this up but RockAuto actually does keep inventory and run multiple shipping warehouses. Some items ship directly from the manufacturers but many are kept in stock.

https://www.rockauto.com/help/?page=3#SHIPLOCABC

No they don't have their own warehouses. They just don't publicize that. If you get an order from them, Google the address. It's always a wholesaler (or the manufacturer). The page you linked to doesn't address who owns or runs the warehouses, just that pickup isn't allowed.

With that said, I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. I always do some Google searching for the part number I'm looking for and go with the best deal. Which coincidentally is usually Amazon.

I used to check both, and I'd bounce back and forth between the two, but recently Rockauto has won out so often that I havent' bothered checking Amazon.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Amazon usually wins for me because of free 2 day shipping. Rockauto's shipping sucks since you pay for shipping from multiple warehouses.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No they don't have their own warehouses. They just don't publicize that. If you get an order from them, Google the address. It's always a wholesaler (or the manufacturer). The page you linked to doesn't address who owns or runs the warehouses, just that pickup isn't allowed.

I was referring to the section of the page where they mention how orders are grouped when they ship out, not the section that says they don't allow pickup. I made multiple orders from them during my 4L80E swap for several hundred dollars worth of stuff, all different manufacturers. It all shipped from the same place in one box. I have a hard time believing they don't keep an inventory, I'll Google the address next time though.

EDIT - Also, it seems to me that if everything shipped straight from the manufacturers you wouldn't get all the cool RockAuto magnets in the boxes! :lol:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There’s a thread you should look at. A lot of these radiators have a spare port that you’ll need to find a good cap for to avoid a potential leak.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/replacement-radiator.42475/

In the link above, Df2x4 mentioned a silicone cap that he has used successfully, so that would be an option if your radiator has the spare port.

Otherwise (particularly if parts are difficult to get) I would consider the ACDelco one and it would be one less thing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk