Chrome spring bumper for tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi, all! Since my status is "Newbie," I'm not allowed to start a thread in the Classifieds area, so I'm here instead.

I'm on a wild goose chase for (2) parts that were discontinued by GM in 2010. GM Part numbers 16627257 and 16627258. Called "chrome spring bumper" with numbers on each bumper: 20083695 RH and 20083696 LH. Yes, I know there are used one's on Ebay for $100 - that's a total rip off, and I'm not doing that. Anyone happen to have some lying around they'd be willing sell me for a reasonable price?

Picture of parts on another forum:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted enough threads or responded to enough threads to be good enough to post in all areas of the forum...? Or is it a deterrent for fakes/flakes/scammers/bots...?
Yes, it’s a deterrent. It suks for the 99%, but that bs does happen. What do those things do?

Reaction score
Yes, it’s a deterrent. It suks for the 99%, but that bs does happen. What do those things do?
As far as I can tell, you don't ABSOLUTELY need them...which is probably why GM discontinued them 14 years ago. I have taken mine off, and the tailgate closes and stays latched just fine. These small "chrome spring bumpers" seem to eliminate the ever-so-slightest "play" at the top of tailgate. With the hatch closed, there is the teeny, tiniest smidge of "play" still, but not even noticeable unless you were specifically looking for it. If I can't find replacements, I guess I'm just going to have to live the teeny, tiny smidge of "play" the tailgate has.

Reaction score
IDK, GM has been discontinuing many and arguably far more important parts than those.
It is true: they want us to get rid of our GMT400 rigs and purchase their $80,000 rigs with junk motors, transmissions, and electronics. Especially the 10-speed transmissions GM and Ford are putting in the trucks today - waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too many moving parts and constant shifting. You'd be lucky to get 100,000 miles out of one.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get why you’d want them - the truck came with them. I get wanting the truck to be as OE as possible in certain instances.

I will keep a look out for a set. These are free at the salvage yard. At least mine wouldn’t charge me for them most likely.