Weird metal on magnetic drain plug..what do you think it is??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you could pull the valve covers and check lift on each valve with a dial indicator to see if one is dying
Yeah. We are going to replace the motor or tear it down. Its still pretty hot in Arizona. But ill definitely remove the heads and cam before i buy a junkyard motor. Wish this was a sbc 350. Having to pull heads to remove lifters is stupid

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so there hasnt been any glitter in the oil ever, ive changed it probably 4 or 5 times. Previous owner had alot work done but never this. The original owner sold it with 140k . I got it last year with 180 something and its at 195k now.
Any suggestions ? I probably cant trust the motor now. Unless i tear it apart and its too damn hot here.
This would be a pretty big chunk off the cam. There must be some oil starvation to cause it?

Anything that would allow the lifter to bounce on the cam lobe can start that kind of failure. Plugged oil hole causing partial lifter collapse, weak valve spring allowing the lifter to bounce when coming off the nose of the lobe at higher RPM, failing lifter roller trunnion causing the same, debris being caught between the roller and lobe causing surface damage (rocker trunnion needle bearing), or simply a lobe that had a defect or heat treat issue that finally failed (less likely given the age, but possible). Inspection is the only way to be sure.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything that would allow the lifter to bounce on the cam lobe can start that kind of failure. Plugged oil hole causing partial lifter collapse, weak valve spring allowing the lifter to bounce when coming off the nose of the lobe at higher RPM, failing lifter roller trunnion causing the same, debris being caught between the roller and lobe causing surface damage (rocker trunnion needle bearing), or simply a lobe that had a defect or heat treat issue that finally failed (less likely given the age, but possible). Inspection is the only way to be sure.
Then again it might still be possible to be a bearing? I didnt realize they were magnetic also. So steel coated with babit?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then again it might still be possible to be a bearing? I didnt realize they were magnetic also. So steel coated with babit?

No, bearing shell steel is too soft to spall and fracture like your sample piece. Whatever that piece came from is machined, hardened steel. Also, most OE rod, main, and cam bearings these days are steel with an aluminum or aluminum/tin alloy instead of the steel/copper/babbitt of old. Cheaper or more eco-friendly, I suppose.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, bearing shell steel is too soft to spall and fracture like your sample piece. Whatever that piece came from is machined, hardened steel. Also, most OE rod, main, and cam bearings these days are steel with an aluminum or aluminum/tin alloy instead of the steel/copper/babbitt of old. Cheaper or more eco-friendly, I suppose.
Yeah so i guess whats the easiest way to pull the cam shaft lol. Ive already pulled one from a 99 suburban should be the same. Cost $28 at junkyard.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not necessary to remove the heads to remove the lifters on an L29.

I would be leery of installing a junkyard camshaft but, if I did, I would use the same lifters that were with it in the same places.