Metal specks in Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would put it all back together and run it till it gets worse and tells you there's something definitely wrong. That might be in 3k miles, or 100k miles.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn I was hoping it was something fixable like rod bearings, there's a copper sheen in the oil too so its possibly a bearing no?
Bearing material, cam bearings, rod or main bearings. If rods or mains it usually scores up the journals. So minimum your looking at is total disassembly and cleaning the metal out of it and a crank kit or cam bearings, depending on what you find. I don't want to give you false hope. Make plans. It might not likely last long. Easier to fix now than after it does more damage to itself.

Last edited:

MADMEXUS

Reaction score
Bearing material, cam bearings, rod or main bearings. If rods or mains it usually scores up the journals. So minimum your looking at is total disassembly and cleaning the metal out of it and a crank kit or cam bearings, depending on what you find. I don't want to give you false hope. <ake plans. I might not likely last long. Easier to fix now than after it does more damage to itself.
Thanks that's good to know

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill be sure to start using that then! I currently use Lucas oil stabilizer with 4.5 quarts oil and 0.5 Lucas. But it doesn't hurt to try new things as long as it helps the engine :)

Lucas is snake oil, you need truck oil. When you're looking at additives and what oil you want it's time to go visit the oil nerds. Something like valvoline VR1 with higher zddp will help it last.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah im gonna run it for now because I have no other cars, gonna hope for the 100K tho
When I saw glitter in my oil, it turned out to be worn cam lobes, a ground down, and a collapsed lifter. I replaced the flat tappet cam with a roller cam ($2200 total), changed the oil a couple times and thought everything was good... until my oil pressure went down to ~8 PSI at idle. Then I heard a light tapping noise, you know, like a rod bearing. Within a few miles it got worse, I shut it off and had it towed home - too late, there was too much contamination in the system! IMO, any glitter is too much glitter until you figure out where it came from.
You must be registered for see images attach

#5 piston wound up hitting my fairly new aluminum head, luckily enough it didn't do any damage to it too.

Now I have a Blue Print 383 short block in the truck and a 2 bolt main boat anchor, with a new roller cam, under the bench.

Just saying - this may not happen to you but... :banghead:

Last edited:

MADMEXUS

Reaction score
When I saw glitter in my oil, it turned out to be worn cam lobes, a ground down, and a collapsed lifter. I replaced the flat tappet cam with a roller cam ($2200 total), changed the oil a couple times and thought everything was good... until my oil pressure went down to ~8 PSI at idle. Then I heard a light tapping noise, you know, like a rod bearing. Within a few miles it got worse, I shut it off and had it towed home - too late, there was too much contamination in the system! IMO, any glitter is too much glitter until you figure out where it came from.

#5 piston wound up hitting my fairly new aluminum head, luckily enough it didn't do any damage to it too.

Now I have a Blue Print 383 short block in the truck and a 2 bolt main boat anchor, with a new roller cam, under the bench.

Just saying - this may not happen to you but... :banghead:
No worries thank you for the advice and info, i'm gonna take off the oil pan soon and check the rod bearings if they are damaged i'm gonna replace them. I understand once metal is in the system the engine is done for, so I am looking for a temp replacement engine for awhile until i rebuild the original one unfortunately any crate engines are a tad bit too expensive for a college kid like me(every penny counts lol :bawl:).
If anyone in the Sacramento Area or Bay Area can recommend a good auto scrap yard or has a good junkyard 350 replacement please feel free to hit me up. thx