Oil Filters with good anti-drainback valves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes but not conventional. No difference

Many...Over 100k if guessing...Idk about abuse

Yes... I had a thread discussing it. They all looked good ... I cleaned them well. They all pumped up tight...cam lobes seemed ok afaik....even cleaned my oil filter adapter recently...

The only thing that seems to help is more preload. If I had to guess, my lifters were well over a turn past zero lash. After getting into all of this, I've never been back to that far. Right now I'm around 3/4 turn. But I get worse idle and the performance doesn't seem as good with more preload so I'm not really wanting to go more. Just not sure what lifters or cam I have....
I did recently notice a slight wobble in my torsional damper... Maybe that's why I'm getting a missy feeling with more preload...idk...
I'll figure it out..definitely going to change damper next....
The tapping at start is very short but sometimes I'll get a 20 second deal...don't want to derail this too much...
you know the drill; only one variable/step at a time. If damper is suspect, do R&R it.
Have you removed and then closely inspected PRs, rockers + balls?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you removed and then closely inspected PRs, rockers + balls?
I mean, I rolled the push rods on glass and checked that they were perfectly clean inside...balls on ends looked good..... rockers seemed to have some wear here and there....wasn't really looking for anything specific...
I wish I knew what lifters I am running. Some people say some certain lifters really like to be at a full to a full and a quarter turn. But I think that's in relation to how noisy they will be all the time , not just at startup...

the cam and lifters are roller...Not stock...Crate motor...no clue..apart from 193 heads on a 638 block..4 bolt main...

When I changed my oil and filter recently, I looked in pan as good as I could with scope and didn't see anything in pan and screen looked good to me...pan was really clean actually.... but I had cleaned it about a year ago...Think it was June last year....

Last edited:

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
L31 Vortec 350 piston skirt-to-cylinder wall clearance tells the tale.
GM Powertrain published specs:
Production: 0.0007" - 0.002"
Service: 0.0007" - 0.0024"
as I wrote earlier: I measured many of them < 0.001" and most have good looking cross hatch throughout, top-to-bottom including along both major & minor thrust. If skirts were slapping on startup, the measured clearance would've been much larger.

as I wrote earlier: I suspect many claims of L31 startup piston slap are mistakenly ID'd that way; when it was valvetrain noise instead. I can't KNOW about theirs because I wasn't there.

? Of those who've said their L31 startup tapping is "piston slap" --- how many of em measured & shared that clearance ?

Aqua-pig

Reaction score
Kind of a confusing thread to follow but as far a filters go I only use Baldwin. Their on every motor I own from my riding mower to the queen of my fleet (1937 Plymouth). It has a remote filter set sideways inside of the D.S. Running board. Never have I experienced any form of noise out of the top end at start up. Engine block was a retired 350 from my k1500 BTW. I’ve seen baldwins handle the most extreme situations, at sea on tug boats crossing the pacific and all kinds of other logging and heavy machinery applications. My two cents, they’ve never given my any issues. If they’re good enough for the demands of that caliber, then I’d wager they’re good enough to handle any abuse I can feed them.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The identified cause of the noise has little to do with clearances, and more to do with Vortec pistons having shorter piston skirts. In any case, it hasn't prevented many of these motors from reaching 3, 4, and 5 hundred thousand miles.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM has made a big deal about "piston slap" being non-harmful.

Which is likely correct...until it causes the knock sensor to activate. Then the timing retards, the power level drops, the emissions increase.

GM very much wants piston slap to NOT be a warranty issue, 'cause otherwise it would have cost them heaps and piles of money.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I take it easy for the first 30 seconds. Closing in on 200,000 miles, and knowing others with double that without any apparent resulting damage after 25+ years.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an oil filter which has an anti-drainback valve which doesn't fail after a month or so. This would be for the K1500 in my signature. I've used filters from AC Delco, Purolator (Red one), Bosch(?) and WIX. They all last about two weeks before they fail, leaving me with a second or so of lifter clatter on start-up once they do.
I have used K&N oil filters exclusively for my '92 K1500 suburban and Castrol High Mileage 10-40 and never had any feedback from my engine! My OE engine has over 500k miles on it...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've got many brands of filters. The minute I decide I like one, I find two more I want to try. I don't drive my truck often enough to warrant a lot of oil and filter changes so I've got a drawer full.