7.4 L oil filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rt3500

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1991 3500 with 7.4 L engine . This is my 3rd '88-'98 GM truck , but the first one ton . When I got the truck , there was very little lifter noise when cold starting . Not knowing the real history of the truck , I did on oil and filter change and fit a Wix filter . Now the truck has fairly significant lifter noise when cold starting . Unlike other big blocks I've owned in the past , I noticed this one has an oil filter adapter that positions the filter at near 90 degrees to the engine for clearance but I didn't think much of that when I changed the filter . I'm beginning to think there is a drain back issue with this filter that the previous filter did not have . Wix claims "anti drain back" valve but it seems it's not providing the result needed here , or maybe what is needed is a filter that has a "stand pipe" as part of the design . Unfortunately , I did not save the old filter and I did not note the manufacture , but it definitely was not a Wix and I did not immediately recognize it , other than it was white with some blue labeling . I should have looked closer at that filter but I've always used Wix so didn't bother . Has anyone run into this issue ? Any help would be appreciated .

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1991 3500 with 7.4 L engine . This is my 3rd '88-'98 GM truck , but the first one ton . When I got the truck , there was very little lifter noise when cold starting . Not knowing the real history of the truck , I did on oil and filter change and fit a Wix filter . Now the truck has fairly significant lifter noise when cold starting . Unlike other big blocks I've owned in the past , I noticed this one has an oil filter adapter that positions the filter at near 90 degrees to the engine for clearance but I didn't think much of that when I changed the filter . I'm beginning to think there is a drain back issue with this filter that the previous filter did not have . Wix claims "anti drain back" valve but it seems it's not providing the result needed here , or maybe what is needed is a filter that has a "stand pipe" as part of the design . Unfortunately , I did not save the old filter and I did not note the manufacture , but it definitely was not a Wix and I did not immediately recognize it , other than it was white with some blue labeling . I should have looked closer at that filter but I've always used Wix so didn't bother . Has anyone run into this issue ? Any help would be appreciated .
On the K models(4x4) and any others with the 90° adapter, it's best to use a filter with an anti drain back valve. The AC #PF1218 does; not sure what other brands have it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you the same weight, type oil? Try a ACDelco filter, maybe your filter is defective, or picked up some crud. It's an easy quick test.
I use Wix or ACDelco, Mobil 1, no problems so far.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just experienced the oppopsite. After an oil/filter change, it sounds much better on startup. My issue is fuel contaminated oil, so the fresh oil isn't draining as fast. I wonder if you've replaced a heavy oil that was put there to cover up the noise with the proper spec oil and are now hearing it? Maybe the engine was "motor-honeyed" before sale.

rt3500

Reaction score
Did you the same weight, type oil? Try a ACDelco filter, maybe your filter is defective, or picked up some crud. It's an easy quick test.
I use Wix or ACDelco, Mobil 1, no problems so far.
I'll try the filter today , and leave the existing oil as a test . I used VR-1 synthetic when i chnaged the oil . I'm not a huge synthetic fan but I was thinking this engine might produce high oil temps so thought I'd try a synthetic since they can take higher temps without breaking down.

rt3500

Reaction score
I just experienced the oppopsite. After an oil/filter change, it sounds much better on startup. My issue is fuel contaminated oil, so the fresh oil isn't draining as fast. I wonder if you've replaced a heavy oil that was put there to cover up the noise with the proper spec oil and are now hearing it? Maybe the engine was "motor-honeyed" before sale.
Yep , I suppose it's possible the seller had some real thick oil to mask it . I'm going to try filter replacement today and see what happens

rt3500

Reaction score
Schurkey , the WIX filter was PN 51060 . I believe this filter should have an anti drain back design . I changed to the AC filter as GoToGuy suggested and there was instant improvement . Maybe the drain back was faulty on that WIX? don't know but the lifter noise was cut down to approximately 5 or 6 seconds which is a major improvement over the WIX . Still , it looks like I have a bad lifter and that is a whole new can of worms based on what Ive seen on the "internet" . Many opinions on flat tappet lifters .

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You gonna open the filter, check it out?