Question about 7.4l Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

perfect777

Reaction score
I have a 99 Suburban K2500 with the 7.4l (454) that was replaced by the previous owner. I don't have any details on where this replacement block came from, but I do know that it's not the original engine.

My question is about my oil filter housing. I currently have a bad leak coming from the behind (above) the oil filter. Doing some research, it appears that this is a common issue and can be fixed by replacing the oil filter housing gasket. However, watching this video, it doesn't appear that I have the same 90 degree housing adapter as many others have. My oil filter hangs straight down and doesn't have the 90 degree adapter at all. The video (and several threads I found on here) talk about needing to remove some 5/16" square bolts to remove the adapter - which I don't appear to have.

I'm wondering if anybody can confirm if that is correct and, if so, is there an oil filter housing gasket that I should be replacing? I plan on replacing the current oil filter (+ o-ring) this weekend to try to stop this leak. My driveway is a mess!

Here is my filter (with lots of leaking oil coming from above immediately upon startup):
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the filter with a 90 degree adapter:

perfect777

Reaction score
Here is a picture of what I assume I have under my filter:

If I remove those bolts, there should be a gasket under there that I can replace, right? Anybody know a part #?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me it looks like a loose oil filter- leak. Could also be double gasketed or a chunk of dirt maybe.

The gasket inside the oil filter housing will not cause an external oil leak.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my filter (with lots of leaking oil coming from above immediately upon startup):

It Looks to me like there’s an adapter pictured between your filter and the engine block that provides engine oil “feed” and “return” to/from an oil cooler; the oil cooler hardlines are evident. It's clearly not a "90 degree" adapter like that mentioned in the video you referenced, but to me it looks like there's an adapter there.

Clean the entire area thoroughly (e.g., a long spray of Brakleen) then start/run the engine long enough to produce a telltale leak of oil. Follow the leak to the source.

Perhaps it’s an unintentional, accidental double-gasket situation b/t the filter and adapter (as @Orpedcrow mentioned) or a leaking oil cooler hardline fitting (where they thread into adapter I mentioned) or a leak b/t the oil cooler adapter and the engine block.

The oil cooler fittings are IIRC sealed using a replaceable o-ring.

The oil cooler adapter, at least in earlier years, is sealed to the block using a gasket kit… I don’t have the p/n but a brief search should provide an answer, such as this one for certain year’s SB and BB engines:

(edit) Here's what's shown in the 1998 FSM:

Attachments

• Pages from 1998_GMT-98_CK-3_SERVICE_MANUAL-VOLUME_3_of_4.pdf
    802.1 KB · Views: 10
  • (more) Pages from 1998_GMT-98_CK-3_SERVICE_MANUAL-VOLUME_3_of_4.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It Looks to me like there’s an adapter pictured between your filter and the engine block that provides engine oil “feed” and “return” to/from an oil cooler; the oil cooler hardlines are evident.
Gen 5/6 Big-blocks have the oil cooler tubes screwed onto fittings that go directly into the block.

Small-blocks and V-6 use an adapter between the oil filter and the block that're plumbed for cooler tubes.

I'm expecting a damaged gasket surface on the block, a double-gasket on the filter, or a loose/faulty filter.

perfect777

Reaction score
To me it looks like a loose oil filter- leak. Could also be double gasketed or a chunk of dirt maybe.

The gasket inside the oil filter housing will not cause an external oil leak.
Thanks - will be replacing the oil filter ASAP. This same filter has been on for over a year with no issues... but it starts immediately dripping out from behind the filter as soon as the car is started.

perfect777

Reaction score
Gen 5/6 Big-blocks have the oil cooler tubes screwed onto fittings that go directly into the block.

Small-blocks and V-6 use an adapter between the oil filter and the block that're plumbed for cooler tubes.

I'm expecting a damaged gasket surface on the block, a double-gasket on the filter, or a loose/faulty filter.
Thanks - will pull off the filter and inspect closer. I didn't realize that there were different connections/fittings/gaskets from various 454 big blocks.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Maybe pulled a used engine from a 2wd, and then used the late 99 filter, that's shorter. It would ba ACDelco pf454. I think the late engines still used the angle adapter, but not completely necessary, i guess.

I'd suspect a lose filter or double gaskets.

The last picture is from a mk4 bbc, I think.

fisher

Reaction score
I have a 2000 k2500 with the L29 engine. No filter adapter gasket. It takes the short filter, pf454, to fit above front drive shaft. I think your leak is from a failed filter.

perfect777

Reaction score
Just to follow-up on this post. I changed only the oil filter (to a new AC Delco PF454) and the leak went away. The old oil filter gasket (o-ring) looked perfectly fine - and was on nice and tight. Not sure why it was leaking in the first place, but the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the support!