Oil filter adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is one check valve to bypass the oil cooler in case it some how gets plugged. There is a second check valve to bypass the oil filter in case it gets totally blocked. There is also the fact that small blocks oil is not 100 % filtered system. When oil pressure exceeds a set limit the oil filter has internal bypass feature.
I suggest anyone should really learn how systems operate from the people who designed them and wrote the service repair manuals. With that knowledge you can make an informed a logical decision on what changes to perform.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Didn't watch the whole video, but his reasoning at the end seemed ridiculous to me. If the filter is bypassed "more than you'd expect" then that would indicate to me that something else is probably not right. His idea of forcing the oil to go through the filter any way because he doesn't want fine metal particles to circulate, in a new engine, would be at the cost of oil pressure/flow. His explanation on the metal particles is the cross hatching wearing away??? You can have a high mileage engine with visible cross hatch. Is he not cleaning machined blocks enough? Leaving too rough a surface? I don't have experience building engines, but this whole idea sounds suspect, to me.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a second check valve to bypass the oil filter in case it gets totally blocked. There is also the fact that small blocks oil is not 100 % filtered system. When oil pressure exceeds a set limit the oil filter has internal bypass feature.
Not exactly. The small-block (and big-block, same system concept) filters all the oil--until the filter bypass valve opens.

The "Chevy" FILTER does not have a bypass feature. "Ford' filters do, because Ford puts it in the filter instead of the filter mounting.

The Chevy filter adapter has a bypass that is not dependent on oil pressure per se. It's activated by a DROP in oil pressure across the filter media--if the oil pressure through the filter drops by more than a few PSI (like 5 or 6) the bypass opens.

As I said before...I'd rather the engine gets unfiltered oil than NO oil. Blocking the oil filter bypass with a metal plug is not something that happens in my shop.