1997 GMC K1500 Z71 Oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aj_08

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently picked up a 1997 GMC K1500 z71.

The oil filter is mounted vertically and has no oil cooler lines (I guess the previous owner deleted them).
The oil filter is a FRAM PH5, but it hits the front driveshaft. Would going to a smaller oil filter, like FRAM PH30, cause harm?

Thanks for the help.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hello,

The oil filter is mounted vertically and has no oil cooler lines (I guess the previous owner deleted them).
The oil filter is a FRAM PH5, but it hits the front driveshaft. Would going to a smaller oil filter, like FRAM PH30, cause harm?

Thanks for the help.
I think the factory filter for this one is the AC PF 1218. It's a little bit shorter than the PF 35 that the older trucks used, and if you get the AC version it has the anti drainback valve that horizontal filter applications need. Rock Auto often has them on sale for around $4, at the parts store they'll be $8 or more. My trucks are both 2wd but I learned from Dad to use the factory filters whenever possible, to avoid changes to the factory spec that other manufacturers may do to keep prices down and profits up....
Fram PH5=AC PF 35, Fram PH30=AC PF 25 (the shorter Chevy filter for cars, the PF 35 is the truck filter). Changed many of these on our square body Burbs and pickups.....

aj_08

Reaction score
I think the factory filter for this one is the AC PF 1218. It's a little bit shorter than the PF 35 that the older trucks used, and if you get the AC version it has the anti drainback valve that horizontal filter applications need. Rock Auto often has them on sale for around $4, at the parts store they'll be $8 or more. My trucks are both 2wd but I learned from Dad to use the factory filters whenever possible, to avoid changes to the factory spec that other manufacturers may do to keep prices down and profits up....
Fram PH5=AC PF 35, Fram PH30=AC PF 25 (the shorter Chevy filter for cars, the PF 35 is the truck filter). Changed many of these on our square body Burbs and pickups.....
Thank you for the reply. Factory is AC PF 1218 only if its 2wd, if its a 4wd (like mine), its a PF52. However, the PF52 does not fit. Someone may have changed the block? The truck came with a FRAM PH5, but its too long, hence the FRAM PH30.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Factory is AC PF 1218 only if its 2wd, if its a 4wd (like mine), its a PF52. However, the PF52 does not fit. Someone may have changed the block? The truck came with a FRAM PH5, but its too long, hence the FRAM PH30.
Interesting! I haven't seen the PF 52 so I don't know what it looks like. Guess next time I'm at the parts store I'll have to compare them.
Main thing with the oil filter, besides it obviously not hitting anything, is that the threads and gasket match. Otherwise there will be leaks...
I think, when we got our first OBS Burb in 2005, that I tried to put a PF 35 on it since we had some from having several square body trucks. Seems like it either didn't fit, or the threads or gasket didn't mate up correctly. Then we had other vehicles so I'm sure someone went to the parts store and got a PF 1218. That's what I've used on my OBS trucks since then and no issues.

aj_08

Reaction score
Yes, the PH30 threads and gasket match, just a lot smaller.
I see, I guess if it fits, the length shouldn't matter as much? - Lot of interesting reads out there about smaller = less flow and more contaminant buildup - not sure if this is factual, but I do agree with using what the factory mentions. Just so happens that what factory does mention doesn't fit (and the reason why I think someone may have messed with the original engine). I think the PH30's fit older gm Vehicles...

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yes, the PH30 threads and gasket match, just a lot smaller.
I see, I guess if it fits, the length shouldn't matter as much? - Lot of interesting reads out there about smaller = less flow and more contaminant buildup - not sure if this is factual, but I do agree with using what the factory mentions. Just so happens that what factory does mention doesn't fit (and the reason why I think someone may have messed with the original engine). I think the PH30's fit older gm Vehicles...
Fram PH30 is their equivalent to the AC PF 25. Shorter Chevy filter for car applications.
The PF 35 is the same base, but holds a full quart of oil. Made for the square body trucks.
I used to sell these at our parts store for many years, besides using them on our vehicles.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I believe the difference in filters is the angle adapter that is no longer present on your truck. So you basically need a "2wd filter" now. I'd go for the PF454 instead of the 1218. The PF1218 is still pretty tall.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the help.
You can use the equivalent of ACDelco PF454. I believe that would be a FRAM PH8873.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
The 4wd definitely uses the PF52 variant. You could always install a remote mount kit, which would let you use the larger 2wd filter and could be significantly easier to change. If I keep mine, I'll be doing this.

The newer ACDelco PF52E variant should be avoided IMO (it uses plastic internals prone to breaking). I'd also (STRONGLY) recommend against using most Fram oil filters. I'd also stay away from STP as well. There are plenty of better options, often for the same cost...sometimes less.

I used a Carquest Red when I did the K1500s change this January, as I thought the intake manifold gasket was leaking. I didn't see the need to use anything better while trying to figure that out. I'll probably use a Blue the next time, since this truck sees very little use. I usually exclusively use M1 filters, with WIX and NAPA Gold/Platinum as backups.

The following chart is based on info from a few resources (the BobIsTheOilGuy forums, industry contacts, etc.). Can't guarantee it's 100% accurate, as things constantly change...but I believe it's close. In order of price as of this posting.

PriceBrandModelNotes
$3.80ProTEC (WIX)PXL51036* Have to buy a case of 12 * at O'Reilly. Can sometimes find at RockAuto for less than $2.50...but have to pay shipping. Currently RA has closeout ones for $1.07...
$5.50Carquest Red/StandardR85036Now MFG'd by Mann+Hummel/Purolator (Purolator Classic equivalent). Look for date codes starting with 'F'. Filters starting with 'A' date codes are from 2013-2016 when Fram had the contract. Before 2013 they were mfg'd by WIX.
$6.00Purolator PremiumP24011OK budget option if under $6, but somewhat hard to find. Tractor Supply usually has them.
$6.50NAPA Proformer21036Basically a WIX ProTec, just easier to source (if you have a NAPA nearby).
$7.80Carquest Blue/Premium85036Now made by Mann/Purolator (Purolator P1 equivalent). 2013-2016 by Champion Labs (Mobil1 EP equivalent). Before 2013 by WIX.
$8.00MANNML1007Discontinued
$11.00Purolator One (P1)PL24011Just grab a CarQuest Blue...
$12.50Mobil1M1-201 / M1-201aMy preferred filter on all vehicles. Walmart usually has the best price on the filter and M1 oil. AdvanceAuto has recently been running a 5qts of Mobil1 synthetic + M1 filter special for $35 that just edges out WallyWorld. Rock Auto is also usually the cheapest on the filter, but only viable if you're buying other parts from the same warehouse.
$13.00WIX51036
$13.00NAPA Gold1036Same as WIX 51036
$13.00BaldwinB35-SWell built, but generally considered a bit pricey for the quality of filtration the media they use provides.
$15.00NAPA Platinum41036Same as WIX XP
$15.00Purolator BossPBL24011Decent, but there are a few better options for less.
$15.50AC DelcoUPF52RStill available but omewhat hard to find now. They were made by Champion Lans, basically a M1-201A clone. Not sure if this is still the case. You can usually tell by looking at the baseplate design and they will also have the letters ZZ stamped/imprinted on the baseplate.
$16.00WIX XP51036XP
$18.00K&NHP2001Same as M1-201/A, with a nut welded on end & K&N logo. Not worth the premium IMHO.

Excellent, preferred for extended intervals
Very good, standard intervals (7.5K miles / 12mo)
Good, perfect for short-term (less than 5K miles / 6mo) and budget use

Last edited: