1997 GMC K1500 Z71 Oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aj_08

Reaction score
I believe the difference in filters is the angle adapter that is no longer present on your truck. So you basically need a "2wd filter" now. I'd go for the PF454 instead of the 1218. The PF1218 is still pretty tall.
Interesting, never thought of this. Ok, I will try the PF454 - its small and should screw in just like the Fram PH5 that came with the truck, but be much shorter. Both filters have a Thread Size of 13-16" -16, and outside diameter is roughly 93 mm for anyone curious. Thanks!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Interesting, never thought of this. Ok, I will try the PF454 - its small and should screw in just like the Fram PH5 that came with the truck, but be much shorter. Both filters have a Thread Size of 13-16" -16, and outside diameter is roughly 93 mm for anyone curious. Thanks!

You're welcome

I little more info, just for the sake of info. The PF454 is what GM switched to putting on the 454 part way through the 99 model year, and then continued on with the 8.1L. I've run a few of the short filters, but typically run the longer one, since I still have the angle adapter. I had no idea 4x4 small blocks used a different filter until recently.

aj_08

Reaction score
You're welcome

I little more info, just for the sake of info. The PF454 is what GM switched to putting on the 454 part way through the 99 model year, and then continued on with the 8.1L. I've run a few of the short filters, but typically run the longer one, since I still have the angle adapter. I had no idea 4x4 small blocks used a different filter until recently.
Love the education - thanks for the info. So it appears that big blocks used smaller filters than small blocks if I understand this correctly?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the the four wheel drives with oil cooler take the shorter, smaller diameter filter, I use wix 51036.
There is also a cooler / filter adapter horizontal ( sideways) that uses a regular small block fullsize filter. Like PF 25.
In large truck applications the oil cooler/ filter adapter is vertical, normal position, takes full size filter. PF 25, 35, 45. Same diameter just big and bigger.
When I worked at parts store high school , rural agriculture city. Trucks and farm equipment wanted the PF-45 Chevy small block but more filter, that's a long time ago.
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Love the education - thanks for the info. So it appears that big blocks used smaller filters than small blocks if I understand this correctly?

I guess it would depend on what years you're comparing. By the time GM switched the 454 to the small PF454, most GMT-400s were 3/4 and 1-tons. I guess the few 350's being installed in vehicles may have had a larger filter, but the majority of light duty trucks were the new GMT-800s with LS engines that also use a pretty small filter.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
anti drainback valve that horizontal filter applications need.
this is very important but I must say to any one that sees do your homework on oil filters they are all not the same I do not know about the ac delco filters but here is a nice group of them note the filters in this video are not for our trucks they are for some thing else
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media